SSD Question RE: Dell XPS 420

TCR_VA

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I would like to buy an SSD to replace my HDD for my OS and some apps on my 2008 Dell XPS 420. However, I have Vista Home and am concerned with TRIM. Since Vista Home does not support TRIM, where can I get an app that will mock TRIM so my write times don't diminish.

Also, since my XPS (to my knowledge) is only SATA and not SATA II or III, does anyone have a recommendation for an SSD that would be best for my system. I know most SSDs are backwards compatible so maybe the issue is moot.

I store docs/pics/vids on an external 1TB WD Book so the SSD drive would only handle apps and OS.

Final note - I don't use any RAID arrays. I back up on the WD Book.

I have visited this forum for many many years and respected the advice many have given others. I appreciate any replies! Thanks.

occdavid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007

My first SSD was an OCZ (Vertex 1) - at that time they had a program you could run for garbage collection (Trim). I would check out their site and see what versions might interest you... they have a support forum too and you could post any questions there. I will add - I moved to Intel SSD's which have worked very well for me. I did have an OCZ act up and PC bios could not see it. Via their support forum I got destructive flash instructions/files and reset the drive to new status. But all data had to be lost. SSD's are still at the point where you HAVE to have any data on them backed up, but really that goes for any type drive/data. Out of 4 OCZ, I've had 1 fail. And out of 50 Intel SSD's I've only had 1 where Windows went corrupt, but I restored from image and used the drive again after a wipe.
I'll also put my 2 cents in that if you are going to move to a SSD drive... I'd upgrade to Win7. Vista blew chunks - Win7 is way way better.