CPU OC - crashing?

Yozer34

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Alright so I went from 3.4GHz stock clock on my 2600K to 4.3GHz, changing only the multiplier and no volt change.
I got this problem though... when I turn on my computer sometimes, it runs for 10 seconds without displaying anything and then restarts by itself.
So I downclocked to 4.2GHz, but the same problem occurred (sometimes, not always).
I have now changed to 4.1GHz, assuming the problem is lack of voltage for that extra clock.

But what I need to know is that is this totally fine, (meaning that the CPU wasn't getting enough power at the start so the whole system restarts)?

Solution
Yes your CPU is fine but it is not getting enough power to support that increase in clock speed, you need to down clock it til the problem stops and that will be your maximum overclock at stock voltage. To go beyond that mark you have to increase the voltage little by little. Do you have an aftermarket CPU Heatsink/Fan?
Yes your CPU is fine but it is not getting enough power to support that increase in clock speed, you need to down clock it til the problem stops and that will be your maximum overclock at stock voltage. To go beyond that mark you have to increase the voltage little by little. Do you have an aftermarket CPU Heatsink/Fan?

Solution

Yozer34

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Ok, thanks for your advice. I am still quite concerned, since the OC tutorial on this site claims that you mostly start to see problems at 4.3GHz - 4.7GHz when you are at stock voltage. Now my clock is at 4.0GHz and I have not encountered this problem yet.

For the fan, I have the noctua nh-c14. I am planning on raising the voltages soon though to raise the clock to ~4.5GHz, I am just quite lost on what voltage to start with.

What is your current CPU voltage? It should be around 1.3v. Start increasing it by .025. Or since you have adequate cooling I would recommend setting it at 1.375 and trying to boot at 4.5ghz. If you make it to windows then run Prime95 and monitor your temps. If the temps get higher than 65C then you might want to back it down some.