Sign in with
Your question

New core i5 rig, Power supply help!!!

Last response: in Components
January 27, 2010 5:48:48 AM

hey guys,

After 3 years of usage, my power supply blew up one day also burning out my rams and Mother board.
so im now planning on building a new rig.

Core i5-650 3.2ghz (dual core, 4MB Cache) with HT
Intel® Desktop Board DH55HC
3GB DDR3 RAM
Invida Gforce 7300GS 256MB DDR2
250GB HDD (old hard from previous rig)

My question is would my current 450W psu be enough to run the above system?
The sales person tells me that a 450W wouldn't be enough and that i would have to purchase a new "ORIGINAL real 450-500W" psu, which would cost me between $50 - $120 (depending on the brand), which is way outta my budget.

My current psu is a Mercury 450W psu that i purchased from a dealer for $160 w/ 1 yrs warranty.
Below are the readings from my psu...

AC INPUT 115V/230V AC FREQUENCY 50-60Hz
-----------------------------------------------------
+12V -12V +5V +3.3V +5VSB
18A 0.5A 30A 21A 1.5A
-----------------------------------------------------

ATX 1.3 ATX 12V

Please could anyone help me and tell me if this would be enough to run my system, i would be mainly using it for video editing and a little bit of 3DS MAX. and mayb a weee little bit of gaming. (i'm not an avid gamer).

Is there a possibility of my psu blowing up hence burning out my mobo or processor, etc?

Please help

Thanks in advance.

More about : core rig power supply

a c 248 ) Power supply
January 27, 2010 12:27:50 PM

Mercury power supplies are unknown and unavailable in the USA. Without a competent technical review it is difficult to give advice.

Nvidia officially recommends a 300 watt or greater power supply for a pc system with a single 7300GS video card. The recommendation is for power for an entire pc system, not just the video card.

Since you are not a hardcore gamer into extreme overclocking you should be okay.
m
l
January 27, 2010 12:55:53 PM

I am not an extreme gamer. and i certainly dont intend on overclocking it anytime soon.
As for the games, i am prolly most likely to play a few games that were released during 2006/2007 ONLY IF i have time. So considering the above would my current psu be enough?

Also...

Say for example, if i was to buy a new psu, what do u recommend? I am from Sri Lanka, so we wouldn't have the same psu's as available there in the U.S.
So is there any particular identity that i should be looking for? like a certain Ampere or Volts?

m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2010 1:06:09 PM

160 usd??!? dude this is generic PSU 65% efficient it should cost like 20usd max.
I recommend to get something better.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 27, 2010 1:24:01 PM

In the USA I would recommend high quality Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec brand power supplies. Unfortunately those brands can be quite expensive in other countries. Some of the Coolermaster, Thermaltake, and OCZ power supplies would be adequate.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
January 28, 2010 11:44:13 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
Unfortunately those brands can be quite expensive or not available in other countries.

There. Fixed it. :) 

And arkadi, he may not be talking about US$. I sure hope not ...
m
l
January 28, 2010 12:57:57 PM

Actually i was talking about US..
And It was not a recommendation mate, just an opinion about his old one :) 

m
l
February 5, 2010 4:09:53 AM

hey guys...sorry abt the delay. my internet was down, just got it fixed.

just abt to purchase my new rig today...
the core i5 750.

now as for the power supply, I have narrowed mine down to two choices.
a Cooler Master and a Seasonic.

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3 500W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seasonic SS650HT
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Which wud u guys suggest? even on the long run for further vga upgrades?

Thanks in advance... again
m
l
February 5, 2010 6:42:19 PM

*** ing FAST :) 

Thanks alot u guys.. twas very helpful, Now i know where id be hitting incase of desperate times (tomshardware) thanks a mil once again.
m
l
February 5, 2010 9:17:34 PM

oh crap... i typed a big cmmented... but looks like only the end has been posted...

I purchased the following today.

Intel Core i5 750
Intel Motherboard DP55WB
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333mhz (will be upgrading to a 4GB in amonth or two)
Nvidia Geforce 7300GS 256MB (will be upgrading later on)
Samsung 250GB HDD (my old hdd, will be purchasing a 500GB next month)
Seasonic SS650HT 80Plus 650W PSU

I bought the seasonic 650W for abt USD$122 with 3 years warranty. I didnt wanna spend soo much on a psu, as i cud hv purchased a 4GB Ram and a 500GB HD instead. But finally ended up buuyin the seasonic.

The Ram doesnt work on 2 of the 4 slots. so il be goin to exchange it from the stores this monday. And apart from that im running on XP, as my windows 7 is coming on Monday. But as of now, the PC works fast. Have to try the performance on some video editing.

So thanks all u guys for helping me out with the PSU... twas a great help. thanks a mil u guys. TOMSHARDWARE all the way.
m
l
!