Install Win 2000Pro on Satellite 2805-S301

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2004 8:29:21 PM

Hello,

I have a Satellite 2805-S301. Came with Win ME, so I had to keep one version
on for guarantee purposes. Partitioned HD and added WIN ME Thai. Now I'd
like to delete the partions and "clean" install 2000 or XP Pro to use
unicode. 10 GB HD, 325 mg Memory, BIOS v.2.0 and ethernet connection to
desktop PC. I perused "ASK Iris" and picked drivers for display,Lan
utilities, etc. Also downloaded MS instructions for intalling 2000 Pro.
Does anyone know of pitfalls to watch for, past experience. Al comments
appreciated. Thanks, Bernie
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2004 9:55:25 AM

<bai@baymoon.com> wrote in message news:cb0lon0849@enews1.newsguy.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a Satellite 2805-S301. Came with Win ME, so I had to keep one
version
> on for guarantee purposes. Partitioned HD and added WIN ME Thai. Now I'd
> like to delete the partions and "clean" install 2000 or XP Pro to use
> unicode. 10 GB HD, 325 mg Memory, BIOS v.2.0 and ethernet connection to
> desktop PC. I perused "ASK Iris" and picked drivers for display,Lan
> utilities, etc. Also downloaded MS instructions for intalling 2000 Pro.
> Does anyone know of pitfalls to watch for, past experience. Al comments
> appreciated. Thanks, Bernie
I have installed Win2000 on both a 2805 S201 and a 2805 S401. Both
installed and operated flawlessly. Do go to the Toshiba web site and get
the latest drivers and install them as well. (Also the Toshiba BIOS and
Power tools.) Have not done XP but I don't recommend it simply because of
the O/S itself. (Don't need to go into a tirade here on the concept of MS
still running and shutting down you machine if they even think it might be
an illegal copy.)

Rich
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2004 7:56:28 PM

If Its not a bootleg copy they wont. When someone talks like this, It
make's one wonder why they get so worked up over this. Get used to it. More
and more companies are starting to do it
..
"Richard Johnson" <richj@remove.this.tairedd.com> wrote in message

> <bai@baymoon.com> wrote in message news:cb0lon0849@enews1.newsguy.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a Satellite 2805-S301. Came with Win ME, so I had to keep one
> version
> > on for guarantee purposes. Partitioned HD and added WIN ME Thai. Now I'd
> > like to delete the partions and "clean" install 2000 or XP Pro to use
> > unicode. 10 GB HD, 325 mg Memory, BIOS v.2.0 and ethernet connection to
> > desktop PC. I perused "ASK Iris" and picked drivers for display,Lan
> > utilities, etc. Also downloaded MS instructions for intalling 2000 Pro.
> > Does anyone know of pitfalls to watch for, past experience. Al comments
> > appreciated. Thanks, Bernie
> I have installed Win2000 on both a 2805 S201 and a 2805 S401. Both
> installed and operated flawlessly. Do go to the Toshiba web site and get
> the latest drivers and install them as well. (Also the Toshiba BIOS and
> Power tools.) Have not done XP but I don't recommend it simply because
of
> the O/S itself. (Don't need to go into a tirade here on the concept of MS
> still running and shutting down you machine if they even think it might be
> an illegal copy.)
>
> Rich

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2004 8:16:10 AM

"Angry American" <angryn0spamamerican@dooleyism.com> wrote in message
> If this were true then a simple phone call to Microsoft would remedy the
> situation. I have run into the same problem, as I do beta testing for
> several types of software, and will end up having to wipe and start over
if
> the software bugs the OS enough. And I have run into this wall, but I have
> never had Microsoft deny my key after a phone call. And this is on average
> of a re-install about three times per month, on several different hardware
> changes, as well as software hickups due to bad beta's, ever since XP came
> out.
>
> Dan

First thing is, why should I have to call Microsoft? They have no right or
say about anything I do with my machine. Second, I tried that. For one
solid weekend. Could not seem to get them. Kept getting MSN, and they were
of no assistance. (I don't subscribe to MSN in any way shape or form.)
What I am saying is true. So, I won't use XP, or any XP or current product
that treats me the same way. Hell if you want to protect your software,
give me a dongle, but I won't use spyware of any sort. I don't recommend
its use to anyone. And as I said, I constantly lobby for the use of other
OS's at work. This has had some real effect in that we have not gone to XP
and are moving off all MS products. (I do get some assistance from
Microsoft on this though. Their licensing policy and costs are pushing this
too.)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2004 12:36:56 AM

Getting back to the original question, I have the same laptop and have,at
various times, installed, 2000, XP Pro, and Linspire (Linux) all with
complete success. Earlier advice given is good; go to toshiba.com and get
all the files needed for your install and use them after the basic install
is done. Should work like a charm! Good luck.

--
Ken Wolf
kwolf8380@comcast.net

!