HSF for PII X4 940?

smocksturr

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hello,

I'm currently running an A64 x2 6000+ with an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64. It runs pretty hot (though I think I have one of the chips with inaccurate sensors) but the system is stable (stock 3.1).

I'm upgrading to a PII x4 940. Should I stick with the stock cooler or use my Freezer 64? I'm not too keen on overclocking, but I'd like to get as much music/video production power as I can. That and Crysis.

Thanks,
Drew

smocksturr

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008

Alright, I'll give the Freezer a shot first. I use OCZ compound.

Yeah, I have no idea why it's running so warm. I upgraded from a smaller HSF, cleaned everything, applied the compound properly, installed the Freezer, still reads absurdly high... though if I touch the HSF recently after shutting down it's only warm. I think I have bad temp sensors. Never had any instability problems.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

Worm is a good sign, that means that is mounted properly, it when it cold you have to be warred.
BTW what temps are we talking here, just curios. Have you tried BIOS update?

smocksturr

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008

Did a BIOS update yesterday, no change. After some serious processing, BIOS claims CPU temp is 55 degrees.. though I remember Speedfan reported more like 32-35 degrees I think. I heard there were some chips with faulty sensors out there.

smocksturr

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
When I get the PII, I'll just pop the stock HSF on and check temps. Just in case I'm applying paste/installing the Freezer wrong (99% sure I'm not - did it several times and followed OCZ instructions to the nine)