Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HSF for PII X4 940?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 27, 2010 12:34:53 PM

Hello,

I'm currently running an A64 x2 6000+ with an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64. It runs pretty hot (though I think I have one of the chips with inaccurate sensors) but the system is stable (stock 3.1).

I'm upgrading to a PII x4 940. Should I stick with the stock cooler or use my Freezer 64? I'm not too keen on overclocking, but I'd like to get as much music/video production power as I can. That and Crysis.

Thanks,
Drew

More about : hsf pii 940

January 27, 2010 12:51:09 PM

Freezer 64 will work... though I'm not sure it will do appreciably better than the PII's stock fan. I have a Thermolab Baram on mine, and it keeps things pretty cool.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=234...

It runs about 40 bucks now, and is Frosty's second top choice for AMD coolers. That and a couple strong fans will keep it cold.

m
0
l
January 27, 2010 12:56:11 PM

Well you will have them both any way, so you can try them both. I have my money on the Freezer. BTW your old CPU should be ICE cold.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 27, 2010 1:15:51 PM

arkadi said:
Well you will have them both any way, so you can try them both. I have my money on the Freezer. BTW your old CPU should be ICE cold.



Alright, I'll give the Freezer a shot first. I use OCZ compound.

Yeah, I have no idea why it's running so warm. I upgraded from a smaller HSF, cleaned everything, applied the compound properly, installed the Freezer, still reads absurdly high... though if I touch the HSF recently after shutting down it's only warm. I think I have bad temp sensors. Never had any instability problems.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 1:49:49 PM

smocksturr said:
Alright, I'll give the Freezer a shot first. I use OCZ compound.

Yeah, I have no idea why it's running so warm. I upgraded from a smaller HSF, cleaned everything, applied the compound properly, installed the Freezer, still reads absurdly high... though if I touch the HSF recently after shutting down it's only warm. I think I have bad temp sensors. Never had any instability problems.


Worm is a good sign, that means that is mounted properly, it when it cold you have to be warred.
BTW what temps are we talking here, just curios. Have you tried BIOS update?
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 2:33:25 PM

arkadi said:
Worm is a good sign, that means that is mounted properly, it when it cold you have to be warred.
BTW what temps are we talking here, just curios. Have you tried BIOS update?

Did a BIOS update yesterday, no change. After some serious processing, BIOS claims CPU temp is 55 degrees.. though I remember Speedfan reported more like 32-35 degrees I think. I heard there were some chips with faulty sensors out there.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 2:37:39 PM

When I get the PII, I'll just pop the stock HSF on and check temps. Just in case I'm applying paste/installing the Freezer wrong (99% sure I'm not - did it several times and followed OCZ instructions to the nine)
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 2:54:14 PM

Sorry for the ultra-spam, but here are my latest readings from Speedfan 4.4 on W7 (I usually run Hackintosh):

Temp1: 49C
Temp2:42C
Core: 25C


m
0
l
January 27, 2010 3:34:38 PM

smocksturr said:
According to this post: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topi...

several others had the same problem. What should I use to monitor temps? I don't want to fry my PII.


I'd download AMD overdrive. Not only does it monitor temps, you can software overclock pretty well through it too (provided you're running on an AMD chipset).
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 4:19:14 PM

Alright, will do. Doesn't the CORE temp seem a little more correct though?
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 4:33:26 PM

I have an nVidia ASUS motherboard, apparently not AMD 7-series.
m
0
l
January 28, 2010 5:53:15 AM

Your temps are ok...what you got on full load?
m
0
l
!