Boot manager is missing or corrupt

arkansastexan

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I cannot get past the Windows loading bar screen. It will scroll five or six times and then the screen freezes for about 15-20 seconds. At that point I get a BSOD. I have replaced the optical drive, replaced the two 512MB modules of RAM with a 1GB stick module, checked all of the connections to make sure they are all secure, removed the pci card, swapped out the power cord with a new one, verified the fan is working on the power supply to rule out a bad power supply.

I am able to access hard drive using Spotmau PowerSuite Golden 2012 and UBCD4 but honestly have not been able to figure out how to use them to repair the problem. I am not a computer wiz by any stretch of the word. I was able to make a complete backup of the hard drive to a usb external drive using one of the two software applications mentioned above.

I can't find the original Windows XP MCE installation disk but I don't believe it came with one. I know the machine came with these files hidden in a partition on the hard drive but have no idea how to access that partition and utilize them.

My computer is a Dell XPS 400 running Windows XP Media Center Edition. I will greatly appreciate any assistance that I can get regarding this problem! I hope I have provided ample details in order to be helped.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=Dell+XPS+400+recovery