Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Motherboard washers

Last response: in Motherboards
May 14, 2010 5:02:26 PM

Hi, I recently purchased a P6X58D-E motherboard from ASUS and an Antec 902 case. The case came with screws and washers. Just wondering if it is OK to not use the washers or would I be better off using them? The response I got from ASUS was that it is supposed to be standoff then washer then MB then washer then screw. Seems a little excessive.

More about : motherboard washers

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 295 V Motherboard
May 14, 2010 6:57:03 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Agree with ASUS support, that two components came with the mobos for some reason, so, u should use it.
Score
May 14, 2010 10:39:29 PM

Hi Saint,

Thanks for your response. Just wanted to clarify that the screws and washers didn't come with the motherboard but came with the Antec case. It didn't come with enough washers to use like Asus wanted me to use(one behind and one in front of the motherboard mounting holes). Any suggestions? Sorry, but my first computer build so I wanted to clarify that. Thanks!
Score
Related resources
May 14, 2010 11:30:30 PM

What the washers do is prevent the possibility of screw-mb-case shorts. Primary concern should be using a washer between the screw and the motherboard. The standoff contacts the back of the motherboard generally where there are few metal contact points.

Usually, the mount points on the motherboard have sufficient spacing around them so as a screw without a washer will not cause any issues.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 295 V Motherboard
May 15, 2010 4:40:59 AM

pckid777 is right, the washers prevent a shorts between ur mobo and case. I suggest to u that install that washers, are for safety of the mobo and ur rig.
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2010 7:06:08 AM

I have never used an antec case. However, I have never seen a case or motherboard that needed washers.

Can you describe these washers a little bit? I have only used one case with washers and that one came with these red cardboard washers. If thats what you have, Do not use them.

Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2010 7:23:18 AM

saint19 said:
pckid777 is right, the washers prevent a shorts between ur mobo and case. I suggest to u that install that washers, are for safety of the mobo and ur rig.

Actually, your both wrong. I just looked at the pics of the OP's case and those are indeed red cardboard washers. DO NOT USE THEM. They intended for NON-metallic motherboard holes.

If you look at your board, you will notice that the motherboard mounting holes have a silver, washer-like ring around the hole. You will also see a few holes, likely unused that have no silver lining. In the old days, this type of hole was commonly used for the standoff mount and DID require the washer for short protection. The newer, metal lined holes not only don't need it, but establish a case ground through this contact.

So no, don't use them. Unless your somehow using a hole that doesn't have the metal lining to mount the board.
May 15, 2010 8:50:14 AM

Yes they are the red cardboard washers. I called Asus again earlier and this time they told me to not use the washers at all. This time they said that using the washers would have a greater chance of causing the motherboard to short out. There are metallic rings around the holes like Falcon described and I felt confident enough to go ahead with mounting the board. So far so good. In fact, I am typing on the same computer I just built with the P6X58D-E motherboard. I don't understand why I got the first answer the first time I called Asus support. I appreciate everybody's input, Thanks
Score
May 15, 2010 4:07:10 PM

FALC0N said:
Actually, your both wrong. I just looked at the pics of the OP's case and those are indeed red cardboard washers. DO NOT USE THEM. They intended for NON-metallic motherboard holes.

If you look at your board, you will notice that the motherboard mounting holes have a silver, washer-like ring around the hole. You will also see a few holes, likely unused that have no silver lining. In the old days, this type of hole was commonly used for the standoff mount and DID require the washer for short protection. The newer, metal lined holes not only don't need it, but establish a case ground through this contact.

So no, don't use them. Unless your somehow using a hole that doesn't have the metal lining to mount the board.

TIL not to use cardboard washers when there is a silver lining around the mount point. Haven't used the washers for my last few builds, but good to know!
Score
August 13, 2012 1:00:24 AM

Best answer selected by dank2hydro.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 13, 2012 6:42:43 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!