Emachines e627 video memory option greyed out

rampage13

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I bought an emachines laptop and want to change the video memory in the bios as it says it can be done. But the options there are greyed out and do not give access. How can i change this or enter the settings?

rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Greyed out options means no editing.
Did you give a look in the advanced options.Yet if it is not possible then ask the manufacture for a bios update.

It seems that there is a limit for sharing video memory with the ram,i think that you should first see whether the video memory is set to the maximum amount of shared video ram as given in the specification of your motherboard.
If your present shared video ram is lesser than the maximum supported by the motherboard definitely ask for bios updates

rampage13

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I do not see an advanced options if so how do i enter it. i used the newest bios update and still no editing. the Oem said they will answer and help out for a fee to get this information.

rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009

I don't know how your bios looks like,but if you can't see any advanced options or such menus then probably they are not available.Your 780g mobile chipset has an integrated 256mb hd3200 shared gpu.
So what is your current video ram?
if it is 256mb,then probably there is no meaning you will get a boost in performance from that integrated gpu,except that you can increase the shared memory.So i recommend that unless if you do not have dedicated 256mb visible,don't go for the OEM 's answer if the fee is large.Still if the OEM can provide a solution go for it.Also unless you are planning upgrades with ram to 4gb you won't be able to share video ram to it's maximum limit(1919mb).

ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 Graphics with up to 1919 MB of HyperMemory™ (256 MB of dedicated system memory, up to 1663 MB of shared system memory), supporting Unified Video Decoder (UVD), OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.0, Microsoft® DirectX® 10.

rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009

Well rampage13,sorry to disappoint you.
You cannot change the dedicated memory because it is something already fixed on the motherboard.Usually the user would like to increase the memory allocated for graphics and the answer for the solution is increasing the shared video ram.In such a case the user may use a part of the system memory or the ram to be allocated as video ram.The maximum performance you can get from increasing the video ram depends upon the speed and amount of the ram.The faster the memory the better the speed.But still you won't need the maximum limits of your shared ram for any of your work.

Well if you are planning to decrease the dedicated memory which is not usually the case,i think the manufacturer may or can provide such an option with an update in their bios,but who would not want an extra dedicated memory for their graphics work so that is least discussed.

Same issue was discussed here:
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/how-to-increase-dedicated-graphics-/1297.html

So in order for increasing the graphics memory increase your the amount of shared memory from the bios.If the bios does not provide a change go for a bios update.

rampage13

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Thank you, for the information. I have done a bios update and still not able to change it but it is there as an option. is there other ways to change or use this option?

rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009

well if the bios update can't be of any help then you have probably got no other choice.