Install os on ssd used for srt ?

jb1185

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
hi , would it be possible to install windows 7 onto the same ssd used for intel smart response tech and then use the rest of the ssd's capacity for caching - hope that makes sense as im just trying to figure out different ways to use this in my new system im building - thanks - jb

It is my understanding that yes, you can.

But, I don't think you should.

Taking 20gb or so away to cache a hard drive reduces your space on the os drive.
If the data on the hard drive is so frequently used, it oould be better resident on a larger ssd in the first place. Particularly if it gets many writes, since writes have to be done to the underlying hard drive anyway.

It is possible that some usage patterns might benefit. Say, for example that you have 20 10gb games on your hard drive, and that you will play one or two exclusively for a couple of weeks, and then switch to another set. That pattern would allow faster reading from the ssd cache than from the underlying hard drive.

You could try setting up two ssd partitions before loading windows. Use the second partition as a smart cache, and see if you like it. If it does not work out, you can recombine the partition beck into the "C" partition later.

I don't think it's possible. When you install the Intel SRT software I doubt it will give you the option to select the same drive for cache that your O/S is on. Here's a link to the User Guide: ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dz68db/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf

But it wouldn't make sense to do it even if you could. The main purpose of SRT is to give a boost of performance to large capacity HDDs with Operating Systems installed on them.

If your O/S is installed on a SSD there's no benefit to using SRT.

jb1185

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
thanks for the replies im wondering whether or not to just get a 64gb ssd to run the os on with my main software to produce music on as im on a bit of a budget so a bit more research i think lol - cheers jb