Angelbird Wings modular SSD... has anyone tried this?

Yesterday morning Tom's Hardware published a review of four RAID Controllers that you might find interesting:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/sas-6gb-raid-controller,review-32291.html

In the meantime, the new PCI-e 3.0 standard was officially adopted last year. The implications are enormous. Motherboard manufacturers ASRock, Asus, and MSI have already announced new motherboards with PCI-e 3.0 support. AMD and nVidia are working on new PCI-e 3.0 graphics cards. Several ssd manufacturers have also announced their support for the new standard. I have not seen any announcements but I expect to see new RAID cards too.

Gaslight

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
ok thanks, but I need something now :) can't wait forever... otherwise I'd rather wait for PCIe 4.0.. oh maybe better wait to PCIe 5.0

just kidding, but really I need something I can use to build a system now

that Wings card seemed attractive enough... furthermore I work on a PC but also with a Mac Pro, and this device seem to fit both

I'd be even considering to buy two cards; I'm wondering though, should I use their SSD or use other brands

cheers

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
They only give a 2 year warranty for European customers, 1 year for everyone else.
Not a chance in hell I would give a new company that originally focused on a distro of Linux a shot in the hardware market with such a bad warranty

Gaslight

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
technically yes, but I was looking at something to fit the Mac Pro as well - anyway this solution seemed to me far more compact and practical

bigbadbenny

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

Just installed the lite version in Mac Pro, easy setup, temporarily using it with 4 x 64GB M4, will probably move to SF SSD's later.
Great way to get a fast scratch disk for projects with minimal hassles, multiple OS booting is the icing on the cake if you need that too :)