Wireless repeater, bridge, ethernet converter question

blitzburgh39

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
my ethernet converter broke. which picks up the wireless signal from my main router and splits it into 4 ethernet ports. I need this. its very important.

can i use an old router to act the same way? is this a repeater? a bridge?

please help asap

thanks

Sounds like a wireless Ethernet bridge:

[wireless router]<--wireless-->[wireless Ethernet bridge]<<<--wire-->>>[pc, printer, xbox, ...]

If you want to add wireless clients at the bridge, you need a wireless repeater bridge:

[wireless router]<--wireless-->[wireless repeater bridge]<<<--wire/wireless-->>>[pc, printer, xbox, ...]

Only some routers support wireless Ethernet bridge (aka client mode), e.g., ZyXEL P-330. Any dd-wrt or tomato compatible router can also be used as either a wireless Ethernet bridge or wireless repeater bridge (e.g., ASUS WL-520GU) w/ their respective third party firmware.

Of course, standalone wireless Ethernet bridges are always available. Most (but not all) will accept a switch to their single LAN port to add more devices (e.g., Linksys WET610N). There’s also the ZyXEL WAP3205; wireless N, wireless Ethernet bridge, wireless repeater bridge, WDS bridge, two LAN ports (add a switch for more ports).

blitzburgh39

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
thanks for the fast response. well i have a linksys wrt54gl with ddwrt and a belkin router. i read online that the bridge is the only one needing the ddwrt?

i really dont know what to do

If you have an available dd-wrt router, then all you need to do is configure it for "client bridge" mode. It will connect to your Belkin like any other wireless client. Finally plug your wired devices into its switch.