Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Air Flowing Wrong way in PSU

Last response: in Components
January 27, 2010 6:26:23 PM

I have an odd ball question. Is it bad that the air is flowing in the opposite direction as the manufacture intends in my Thermaltake Touphpower XT PSU??

I installed a 4000rpm 150cfm 180mm exhaust fan on the rear and i'm running it about 2500rpm on system idle. However even at 2500rpm it's creating such negative pressure inside the case that it is pulling air through the PSU even though the psu fan is blowing in the opposite direction. So instead of air being pushed out of the psu via the fan, outside air is now being sucked into the psu and then into the case.

Should I increase the case air intake else ware to ease air pressure off of the psu or just leave everything alone? I don't want to damage the psu or the psu fan.

My case is an Antec Sonata II
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f77/mattd860/P1020069...
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f77/mattd860/P1020068...

More about : air flowing wrong psu

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2010 6:41:09 PM

So basically, underneath the PSU the pressure is lower because of the air being blown out the back of your case from the huge fans on the CPU cooler as well as the exhaust fan behind them. Well, one idea is to reverse the direction of the fan in the PSU, but that could also mean recycling hot air that is exhausted from the grate below it. Another idea is to use a peice of plastic to act as a duct between the PSU intake and your big exhaust fan. This should allow your PSU to at least draw in some air as it currently is.
January 28, 2010 10:54:54 AM

megamanx00 said:
So basically, underneath the PSU the pressure is lower because of the air being blown out the back of your case from the huge fans on the CPU cooler as well as the exhaust fan behind them. Well, one idea is to reverse the direction of the fan in the PSU, but that could also mean recycling hot air that is exhausted from the grate below it. Another idea is to use a peice of plastic to act as a duct between the PSU intake and your big exhaust fan. This should allow your PSU to at least draw in some air as it currently is.

Thanks - I already have a solution to fix the problem (add more air intake). However I just wanted to know if this really was a 'problem'. You definitely are right in that hot air gets recycled back into the case since the PSU is sucking in air just above the exhaust fan.

That fact alone is the deciding factor for me to allow more air intake to reduce the negative pressure inside the case.
m
l
January 28, 2010 10:55:31 AM

Best answer selected by mattd860.
m
l
!