Asus crosshair IV extreme vs formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, I just read this, http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/10/asus-crosshair-iv-extreme-mainboard-supports-mix-and-match-gpu-s/ with its' lucid hydra tech to support multi gpu scaling across multiple manufacturers, and yet, I can only find the Formula edition... Are they the same thing? I want the lucid hydra tech for my gpu's, and also, if i were to run the 5850 and 5770 with hydra, what would happen? would the 5850 clock to 5770 speeds, and would it basically be like xfiring 5770's or would the performance boost be greater?

Solution
The Crosshair IV Formula is the original Crosshair IV board without the Hydra chip. The Crosshair IV Extreme is pretty much a C4F but with Hydra and RoG Connect. About Hydra, it's completely different to CrossFireX. The HD 5850 does not clock down AFAIK, and your HD 5770 becomes like a booster GPU, just to add some FPS but not really CrossFireX. That's why you can run say a GeForce GTS 250 and HD 4850 together, which in some games can provide over 75% boost.
The Crosshair IV Formula is the original Crosshair IV board without the Hydra chip. The Crosshair IV Extreme is pretty much a C4F but with Hydra and RoG Connect. About Hydra, it's completely different to CrossFireX. The HD 5850 does not clock down AFAIK, and your HD 5770 becomes like a booster GPU, just to add some FPS but not really CrossFireX. That's why you can run say a GeForce GTS 250 and HD 4850 together, which in some games can provide over 75% boost.

Solution
Depends, the Crosshair IV Extreme will probably be $100 or around that sum more expensive than the Crosshair IV Formula, mainly because of the Lucid Hydra chip. I'd say it's a good buy if you have an ATi and nVidia card lying around that you want to use together, but otherwise I just think it's not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.