Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard Drive in Fresh Install

Last response: in Storage
October 7, 2011 6:06:06 PM

Hi, I just have a quick question,

I currently have 1 SSD, and 2 HDD (not in raid). I pretty much use the SSD for a boot drive and 1 of the HDD to hold all my programs and the Users folder, while the other HDD I use for media storage, both are Samsung F3 Spinpoints. My question is, if I wanted to reformat my computer, can I just reformat my SSD and Primary HDD but leave the media storage HDD out?

What I'm trying to ask is, would it be ok when I finish formatting and setting up the SSD and primary HDD, then I connect the media HDD, would it be able to read it and not require me to format that specific HDD? Also would I get any errors/incompatibility issues? Thank you.

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
October 7, 2011 6:41:19 PM

Yes, as long as you don't format the media HDD you'll be able to connect it to your reformatted/reinstalled system and access the data. The only thing to watch out for is if there are security settings on the files which restrict access to a specific user account. If that's the case, you'd probably want to remove those restrictions before you remove the drive from the old system.

You can deal with it on your reinstalled system even if the media drive has protected files, but it's more hassle to do it that way.
October 7, 2011 7:06:20 PM

Best answer selected by Vegil.
m
l
October 7, 2011 7:07:37 PM

I don't have any restrictions, it's just strictly for media that I download or have already, I just put them all into that HDD, but thanks for the quick response, I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting an external backing up everything then format the HDDs just to drag like 500gb+ worth of files back into the HDD which takes like 3 hours @_@
m
l
Related resources
!