Sign in with
Your question

Budget processor for audio editing?

Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2010 6:32:35 PM

Hello all,

As a student I'm on quite a budget. At first I wanted to go for the intel i7 920, but that + memory and everything will be too much for me to afford.

My question to you is, what are the cheaper and still very good alternatives?
Intel i5? AMD Phantom II X4 965?

Or perhaps I missed another good alternative?

I need it to be quick with loading audio samples and libraries. Processing speed is also very welcome.

Thank you very much in advance for answering my question!
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2010 7:10:53 PM

rammoth said:
Hello all,

As a student I'm on quite a budget. At first I wanted to go for the intel i7 920, but that + memory and everything will be too much for me to afford.

My question to you is, what are the cheaper and still very good alternatives?
Intel i5? AMD Phantom II X4 965?

Or perhaps I missed another good alternative?

I need it to be quick with loading audio samples and libraries. Processing speed is also very welcome.

Thank you very much in advance for answering my question!

I would not get the PII 965, the PII 955 is only set 1 multiplier lower and is cheap. With it being a black edition you can change the multiplier with no problem. Both the PII 955 and the i5 would be pretty good. The i5 will probably be a little faster at some things. The other difference is the price with the i5 costing $200 and the 955 costing $165. The i5 boards are also a little more expensive as well. I think the i5 may be a little better for you but you may not notice the difference between the two. If you go with the PII 955 I would put the extra money into getting more ram which would make things run smoother.
January 27, 2010 7:26:21 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Well, let's say, with a Seagate 1.5TB 7200rpm harddisk detracted from my budget I have max $490 left. That's the absolute max.

For this I need to get a new processor, a new motherboard and a minimum of 4GB DDR3 RAM. Would you still say the PII 955 is the one to aim for?
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2010 7:14:13 PM

rammoth said:
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Well, let's say, with a Seagate 1.5TB 7200rpm harddisk detracted from my budget I have max $490 left. That's the absolute max.

For this I need to get a new processor, a new motherboard and a minimum of 4GB DDR3 RAM. Would you still say the PII 955 is the one to aim for?

The PII 955 will fit that build and you will be able to have over 4gb of ram probably 8gb and still stay under your max. You can also go with an i5 which will be a little faster in a few things but you will most likely not be able to go over 4gb without going a little out of your range.

Would you like me to suggest a PII 955 setup or an i5 setup?
!