Sign in with
Your question

Thermaltake Frio Overclock Temps

Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2012 5:08:09 PM

Hi Guys just wondering if I am getting the write temps with my Thermaltake Frio, My specifications for my pc are:

Core i7 2600k @4.5Ghz on 1.30vcore
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard
16GB Corsair Vengeance Memory
Sapphire 7970 3GB @1150Mhz Core Clock / 1490Mhz Memory Clock
Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SSD & WD Caviar Black 2TB

Silverstone 1200w Strider Gold PSU
NZXT Phantom (Black)

I am getting idle temps at around 34-36 Degrees Celsius, and full load I am getting around 60-70 Degrees Celsius on the 1.30Vcore. (No Offset)

Am I getting the right temps ?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2012 5:25:57 PM

matt2155 said:
Hi Guys just wondering if I am getting the write temps with my Thermaltake Frio, My specifications for my pc are:

Sapphire 7970 3GB @1150Mhz Core Clock / 1490Mhz Memory Clock
Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SSD & WD Caviar Black 2TB

Silverstone 1200w Strider Gold PSU
NZXT Phantom (Black)

I am getting idle temps at around 34-36 Degrees Celsius, and full load I am getting around 60-70 Degrees Celsius on the 1.30Vcore. (No Offset)

Am I getting the right temps ?

stress test it some more. i doubt it will be long term stable at those temps. i can run an offset of -.07 for a couple hours but i really need -.05 to be longer term stable. thats just something to be aware of because that will raise your temps.

those temps are about right your idle temps are a little high. i sit at 29-31 at idle with the same overclock but 1.33v. max temps or 65*c across all cores.
m
l
April 2, 2012 2:18:01 AM

cbrunnem said:
stress test it some more. i doubt it will be long term stable at those temps. i can run an offset of -.07 for a couple hours but i really need -.05 to be longer term stable. thats just something to be aware of because that will raise your temps.

those temps are about right your idle temps are a little high. i sit at 29-31 at idle with the same overclock but 1.33v. max temps or 65*c across all cores.

Its 100% stable, I ran an OCCT test for an hour, a prime95 test for a couple of hours.

Im not using offset, offset uses a hight voltage when the CPU is 100% but adjusts the voltage low in idle mode, thats why your getting better idle temps.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 3:35:22 AM

matt2155 said:
Its 100% stable, I ran an OCCT test for an hour, a prime95 test for a couple of hours.

Im not using offset, offset uses a hight voltage when the CPU is 100% but adjusts the voltage low in idle mode, thats why your getting better idle temps.

if you say its 100% then ok but when ive used both offset and fixed core voltages i have found myself having to bump the voltages in the next 2-4 weeks. all crashes were in games though...
m
l
April 2, 2012 4:40:59 PM

cbrunnem said:
if you say its 100% then ok but when ive used both offset and fixed core voltages i have found myself having to bump the voltages in the next 2-4 weeks. all crashes were in games though...

Well, running 100% stable for me so far.

Some people have gotten 4.5ghz on the 2.70vcore aswell.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 7:27:26 PM

matt2155 said:
Well, running 100% stable for me so far.

Some people have gotten 4.5ghz on the 2.70vcore aswell.

2.7v???
m
l
April 2, 2012 7:45:43 PM

that seems high for such a good heat sink did you install both fans and are they going in the correct direction
as in both blowing toward the back of the case?
m
l
April 3, 2012 11:16:15 AM

the great randini said:
that seems high for such a good heat sink did you install both fans and are they going in the correct direction
as in both blowing toward the back of the case?

yeah did that, but i have a feeling that it is the thermal paste.

The thermaltake thermal paste was wierd. I might take the thermal paste off and put a nice new thin layer of noctua thermal paste on
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 11:34:25 AM

matt2155 said:
yeah did that, but i have a feeling that it is the thermal paste.

The thermaltake thermal paste was wierd. I might take the thermal paste off and put a nice new thin layer of noctua thermal paste on

The thermal compound application can affect temps if it has been applied too thick, regarding Thermaltake compound if it is gray it is probably Artic Silver 5, if it's white its probably Artic Silver Ceramique, because Thermaltake is actually selling AS5 and Ceramique under its own label at Radio Shack.

If the Noctua is the NT-H1 it is very good thermal compound.

Case airflow sometimes can be a cooling performance limiter, the best CPU air coolers cannot do their job without fresh air flow through the case, hows your case airflow?
m
l
April 3, 2012 12:31:08 PM

4Ryan6 said:
The thermal compound application can affect temps if it has been applied too thick, regarding Thermaltake compound if it is gray it is probably Artic Silver 5, if it's white its probably Artic Silver Ceramique, because Thermaltake is actually selling AS5 and Ceramique under its own label at Radio Shack.

If the Noctua is the NT-H1 it is very good thermal compound.

Case airflow sometimes can be a cooling performance limiter, the best CPU air coolers cannot do their job without fresh air flow through the case, hows your case airflow?

Hi, just applied some Noctua NT-H1.

And still same temps. My airflow is pretty good with the nzxt phantom full tower case. I just dont have a intake fan at the front at the moment.

BUT, my room does get very hot
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 12:37:30 PM

Is it possible to open airflow directly across from the cooler intake?
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:04:52 PM

What do you mean ?

Also, my 7970 is idling at around 57 degrees and load is around 85-87. that seems really hot.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 3:43:37 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Is it possible to open airflow directly across from the cooler intake?

matt2155 said:
What do you mean ?

Also, my 7970 is idling at around 57 degrees and load is around 85-87. that seems really hot.

Your case has 5 > 5 1/2" Bays, are you using all of them?

Today you only honestly need 1 optical drive even if you have 1 optical drive and 1 fan controller you still have 3 drive bays, you could position the needed occupied bays and open up the bays direct across form your CPU cooler install a booster fan to pull air through, of course you would either have to open or loose the front door all together.

I personally despise computer front doors anyway, I never buy a computer case with a front door anymore.

Is there any way to get fresh outside air through your side panel directly into your GPU intake?

If your CPU and GPU air coolers are pulling in already heated case air to cool with, If you could get fresh outside cooler air, directly to them, would they cool better? Think about it?

m
l
April 26, 2012 8:02:11 AM

Dear matt,

It seems we have almost same name too.. To the matter..

I guess you are using

I am planning to build a pc with config
Core i7 2700k
Thermaltake Frio
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
8GB Corsair Vengence Memory - http://www.corsair.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/im...

The issue is I just ordered the Frio through a website but I got some reviews that the RAM module will be in conflict due to its size. I contacted thermaltake and they said it support normal sized RAM modules.

I just want to see if you are able to accomodate all 4 modules (assuming it is 4X4GB module) in the slots without any issues. I would be lot greatful if you could send an image of your setup (Motherboard holding the frio and the RAM modules)
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2012 11:02:14 AM

Well, its late reply, but I have the Frio too.

First RAM stick needs to be low profile. And its tight, so when the cooler is installed, u will have to remove the fan, as there is no way to slide the stick under in to the slot.

I use CORSAIR Vengeance too.

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

m
l
!