Cant find the same wifi network being used with other computer

jackwalker

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I can not connect to the same wireless router that other people in the same house are using. Ive tried refreshing, reseting, restarting. Sometimes the network pulls up in my available network list but it shows up with a KEY . But my other friends are able to connect without a key! what is possibly going On here?

RunningL Xp pro buisness
Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100

Solution
Go to Start->Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes), and hit enter. Locate wireless adapter, right click, and select Properties. Select Wireless Networks tab, see Preferred Networks, and delete any existing profiles. Now create a new profile.
Are you sure it's your wireless router and not a neighbor's? Sometimes ppl don't change the default SSID. All you need is a couple of neighbors both using "linksys", or "netgear", etc., to create confusion. So hopefully the SSID was changed to something unique.

jackwalker

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Yes i have 2 neighbors using linksys but there are other laptops able to connect to it without a security enabled password, how come when i go to access it its asking for a password?

Go to Start->Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes), and hit enter. Locate wireless adapter, right click, and select Properties. Select Wireless Networks tab, see Preferred Networks, and delete any existing profiles. Now create a new profile.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS