Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cant find the same wifi network being used with other computer

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 28, 2010 3:17:51 AM

I can not connect to the same wireless router that other people in the same house are using. Ive tried refreshing, reseting, restarting. Sometimes the network pulls up in my available network list but it shows up with a KEY . But my other friends are able to connect without a key! what is possibly going On here?

RunningL Xp pro buisness
Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100
February 28, 2010 3:28:17 AM

Are you sure it's your wireless router and not a neighbor's? Sometimes ppl don't change the default SSID. All you need is a couple of neighbors both using "linksys", or "netgear", etc., to create confusion. So hopefully the SSID was changed to something unique.

m
l
February 28, 2010 3:36:54 AM

Yes i have 2 neighbors using linksys but there are other laptops able to connect to it without a security enabled password, how come when i go to access it its asking for a password?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 28, 2010 3:39:16 AM

Go to Start->Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes), and hit enter. Locate wireless adapter, right click, and select Properties. Select Wireless Networks tab, see Preferred Networks, and delete any existing profiles. Now create a new profile.
February 28, 2010 3:41:19 AM

Ok how do i do that that might work
m
l
February 28, 2010 3:42:04 AM

Go to Start->Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes), and hit enter. Locate wireless adapter, right click, and select Properties. Select Wireless Networks tab, see Preferred Networks, and delete any existing profiles. Now create a new profile.
m
l
March 12, 2010 10:15:53 PM

Best answer selected by jackwalker.
m
l
!