Sign in with
Your question

1156/P55 recommendation for i5-750/5850

Last response: in Motherboards
May 15, 2010 8:55:57 PM

I currently have an ASUS P7P55D-E PRO motherboard that has a bad case of high pitched buzzing so it's going for an RMA. The resupplier doesn't have any replacements available so it's going to be a refund.

Now the options are either buy the P7P55D-E PRO again from a different supplier and risk the noise or go with a different board with similar features along with similar price tag.

The system is intended for gaming, so future Crossfire at 8x/8x is a nice pathway. My case is a CM 690 II, so at least two USB 2.0 and one eSATA interface for the I/O front panel are needed. The newer USB3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s would be welcomed, there's always a U3S6 card if not. Are the newer USB/SATA features worth it with mobo implementation? The overall ideal feature is a board that doesn't have issues with C-STATE Tech power regulation causing audible coil whine.

GIGABYTE P55A-UD4/UD4P and ASUS P7P55D EVO look good. Have GIGABYTE implemented any bridge solution (NF200/PLX) for 8x/8x Crossfire when the new USB3.0/SATA 6GBps are in use? What's the warranties like? How are EVGA and MSI with P55 chipset? Any noises?

Thanks.
a c 295 V Motherboard
May 15, 2010 11:24:58 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The ASUS P7P55D-E PRO is a very good mobo, maybe u don't have luck with the 1st one. A good option from MSI is the P55-GD65, very solid and with good features.
May 18, 2010 7:17:44 AM

buy ga p55a ud6 which has good crossfire speed than any other p55 motherboard
a c 295 V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 1:45:29 PM

^What speed are u talking about?
May 19, 2010 6:46:36 AM

saint19 said:
^What speed are u talking about?

I am talking about Pcie slot
the asus pro will give 8x an 8x in crossfire whil gigabyte will give 16x and 8x in crossfire
a c 295 V Motherboard
May 19, 2010 8:10:12 PM

Doesn't exist any big difference between x16 or x8 in Crossfire, the big difference is between x16 and x4.
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2010 8:39:14 PM

I recommend either the Gigabyte GA P55 UD4P or MSI P55GD65. They both have 16x/0 1 GPU config or 8x/8x crossfire/sli. The biggest difference is the Gigabyte has SATA 3 and USB 3, although there is an MSI P55GD65 USB 3 version. The MSI P55GD85 is more comparable to that Gigabyte board, also having SATA 3. I don't know the prices exactly but I know the MSI P55GD65 is a bit less than the Gigabyte board - like $20-30 less, no idea what the GD85 model is tho. If it's a free RMA, grab the Gigabyte board IMO.
May 19, 2010 9:59:06 PM

How are the EVGA P55 boards, like the FTW? Anyone with experience?

MSI P55 GD65 and GD80 have nice specifications. My only grievance with MSI is some of their older boards didn't survive the test of time.

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The ASUS P7P55D-E PRO is a very good mobo, maybe u don't have luck with the 1st one. A good option from MSI is the P55-GD65, very solid and with good features.

I'm considering getting another P7P55D-E PRO from a different supplier. The widespread reported noise is a concern though.

alikhanindia said:
buy ga p55a ud6 which has good crossfire speed than any other p55 motherboard

That board costs a lot more than the P7P55D-E PRO though, ideally a board priced around $200 or less. Otherwise, a 1366 setup looks more worthwhile in that price range.

wolfram23 said:
I recommend either the Gigabyte GA P55 UD4P or MSI P55GD65. They both have 16x/0 1 GPU config or 8x/8x crossfire/sli. The biggest difference is the Gigabyte has SATA 3 and USB 3, although there is an MSI P55GD65 USB 3 version. The MSI P55GD85 is more comparable to that Gigabyte board, also having SATA 3. I don't know the prices exactly but I know the MSI P55GD65 is a bit less than the Gigabyte board - like $20-30 less, no idea what the GD85 model is tho. If it's a free RMA, grab the Gigabyte board IMO.

Do you mean the P55A-UD4P? That's the Gigabyte board I was looking at since it's around the same price. Newegg has a little disclaimer about the Gigabyte boards:

"Note: When dual graphics cards are used in 1st and 2nd PCIex16 slots, SATA3 / USB 3.0 (Marvell 9128 /NEC USB 3.0 Controllers) will work at normal mode."

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This review also mentions it:

"At two-thirds of the price of its Asus rival, Gigabyte’s P55A-UD4P cuts costs by using the processor’s PCIe 2.0 connections to host its high-bandwidth controllers. Two of the primary graphics card’s 16 PCIe lanes supply its USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers, and Gigabyte disables six more lanes to make the upper slot an effective x8 interface. The USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers revert to the chipset’s 2.5 GT/s lanes whenever two graphics cards are installed, to preserve the x8 transfers each graphics card needs for optimal CrossFire or SLI performance."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-performance...
a c 295 V Motherboard
May 19, 2010 10:04:19 PM

Currently I have a MSI mobo, and has been running for 2 years without problems. Even, I have another one that have 5 or 6 years and no problems.
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2010 10:15:08 PM

Ah wow interesting info about the Gigabyte! Well, not such a great deal then after all! It'll slightly hamper GPU performance if it's only running the 16x lanes at 8x with just one card. Personally, SATA3 and especially USB 3 aren't even much of a benefit, at least not when it cuts PCIe lanes ><
May 26, 2010 1:12:16 PM

I've been looking at MSI's GD65 and GD80. Is the GD80 worth it over the GD65?

Other boards I'm considering are: ASUS P7P55D EVO and GIGABYTE P55-UD5. Micro ATX mobos worth it, specifically P55M-UD2?

I don't mind the lack of the newer USB/SATA. USB3.0 would be more useful of the two, but again, there's always a U3S6 board or changing to a newer mobo in the future if the technology is more widely adopted. Without those features, it appears there's more selection of boards to go with.

The features I'd like with a P55 board are:
  • Two PCIe 2.0 x16 lanes (running at 8x/8x crossfire/SLI)
  • PCI slot for U3S6 (what speed do these need to run at?)
  • Onboard audio
  • Onboard network adaptor
  • At least six SATA 3Gbps Intel P55 connectors
  • At least six USB ports
  • At least three fan headers
    The last few are usually on most motherboards, just wanted to flesh out the bullet points. :D 
    a b V Motherboard
    May 26, 2010 2:32:49 PM

Well I'm going to warn you away from MSI P55GD65. It's not "bad", but mine burned out after only about a month. I got it RMAed with the ASUS P7P55D PRO and so far I quite like this board. It's basically the same board but it has an extra PCIe lane and minus a LAN connection (the MSI has 2 for some reason). When I picked up my PC and new mobo, the tech said they've been getting a lot of MSI stuff returned/RMAed so it sounds like their quality has gone down the crapper. The ASUS board has all the features you listed. I don't know how much better the EVO board is or at what price but the PRO is $189CND, only $10 more than the MSI board I burned up. Oh also ASUS has quite good utilities that come with their board. Monitoring program, a fan speed program somewhat like SpeedFan but a lot quicker to adjust. I bought an auxilliary fan for my side panel but it ended up not fitting because my heat sink is too tall, so I placed it inside my case and hooked it up to the mobo. You can control it with the ASUS utility although my only gripe is that the 2 temps it monitors are CPU and Motherboard. Would be nice if I could link it to case temp or maybe GPU temp since it blows right on it.
    May 26, 2010 4:04:08 PM

wolfram23 said:
    Well I'm going to warn you away from MSI P55GD65. It's not "bad", but mine burned out after only about a month. I got it RMAed with the ASUS P7P55D PRO and so far I quite like this board. It's basically the same board but it has an extra PCIe lane and minus a LAN connection (the MSI has 2 for some reason). When I picked up my PC and new mobo, the tech said they've been getting a lot of MSI stuff returned/RMAed so it sounds like their quality has gone down the crapper. The ASUS board has all the features you listed. I don't know how much better the EVO board is or at what price but the PRO is $189CND, only $10 more than the MSI board I burned up. Oh also ASUS has quite good utilities that come with their board. Monitoring program, a fan speed program somewhat like SpeedFan but a lot quicker to adjust. I bought an auxilliary fan for my side panel but it ended up not fitting because my heat sink is too tall, so I placed it inside my case and hooked it up to the mobo. You can control it with the ASUS utility although my only gripe is that the 2 temps it monitors are CPU and Motherboard. Would be nice if I could link it to case temp or maybe GPU temp since it blows right on it.

Hey, thanks for the info.

That's a shame about MSI. I've personally never used them before, only ASUS and GIGABYTE motherboards. People I asked with older platform MSI boards said they didn't hold to the test of time.

As for the difference between P7P55D PRO and EVO; from what I can tell, after copying the specifications into text files and using WinMerge to compare, it's mostly an extra RJ45 LAN port and Drive Xpert. The reason the EVO interested me was the prices are similar or sometimes cheaper than the PRO and the EVO onboard power/reset buttons might be helpful if I need to benchtest the new system to avoid hours of cable tidying wasted.

Do you have any noises with that board? C-STATE enabled?
    All I've found on non E- boards making the noise is this thread at the end. I'll probably look into that more.

I'm on P7P55D-E PRO #2 and it's just as noisy. This wasn't a replacement, it was from a different distributor - even better!

From what I've gathered; the problem with the high pitched buzzing boards may be down to the inductor components on the CPU socket region. The coil whine occurs as less power is supplied to the processor due to idle or inactive marked physical cores. C-STATE fixes this by keeping the power level higher but in the process gimps the Turbo Mode multiplier as all four cores are constantly active, thereby creating higher power consumption and more heat. Overall, it doesn't look good.
    a b V Motherboard
    May 26, 2010 4:32:54 PM

Yes, actually there is a high pitch noise coming from it. However I have yet to test a few options out such as installing the ASUS power utility. It's also not that bad in my case but I had the side panel open for a bit and it's a little annoying when you're just browsing a webpage or whatever. But when you're actually doing stuff it's fine. I have C States enabled for turbo boost.
    May 27, 2010 11:14:18 AM

wolfram23 said:
    Yes, actually there is a high pitch noise coming from it. However I have yet to test a few options out such as installing the ASUS power utility. It's also not that bad in my case but I had the side panel open for a bit and it's a little annoying when you're just browsing a webpage or whatever. But when you're actually doing stuff it's fine. I have C States enabled for turbo boost.

Oh wow, wasn't expecting that. :??: 

I'm wondering if it's the same noise. The P7P55D-E PRO is fairly loud (you can hear it with the case closed up to a meter or two away) which happens everytime the system is idle; this room is fairly quiet though. Aside from trying to record it (ideas?) it effectively sounds like a high pitched "eeeee" noise that makes my ears ring after exposure. I keep the case on the desk, so it's fairly close to my ears which likely doesn't help the situation.

The P7P55D EVO isn't looking so attractive now. I've been looking mostly at GIGABYTE boards, specifically the microATX P55M-UD2 and UD4 (what's with the orange lane color?) although the USB3 looks like a better option especially since it's standard ATX dimensions. There's a lot of talk about the GA-X58A-UD3R making "eletrical noises" with the hallmarks of this issue which leads me to believe there may be a problem with how power saving functions of the latest Intel chips has been implemented by motherboard manufacturers.

Overall, I've decided to go for a motherboard that has the essential features at the lowest price. From what I can think of, it's mostly a PCIe 2.0 x16 lane for a 5850, two PCI(e?) lanes for future sound card (if the onboard doesn't cut it) and U3S6 (if the technology is widely adopted). P55 boards tend to come with sufficient USB 2.0 and SATA 3Gb/s ports from the chipset. In short, I just want a gaming rig that will host all the components I have with a little room for expansion later. Crossfire/SLI would be nice, but based on habit, it's more likely I'll switch to a single future series mid-range successor of the 5850.

There's a local computer shop that's fairly reputable, so I might try getting a board from there instead of online - since the RMA process takes a while - and I don't have as many resources to test the noisy system as far as possible.
    May 27, 2010 12:07:43 PM

Thats a rough process. I was going to buy the P7P55D-E Pro but maybe I wont now... :|
    a b V Motherboard
    May 27, 2010 2:37:16 PM

Yep it's that high pitch squeal at idle. I don't mind it too much, a little music easily covers it up but it is a bit annoying. The only solution to it is to disable the idle state power saving features, but that means no turbo =/
    The MSI P55GD65 really is a good board for the price feature wise - and no stupid squeal - but like I said, mine bit the dust after a month and the tech said they're having quite a few issues with MSI products these days.
    You might look at eVGA although for their under $200 board it (P55 LE) it only has 8x/8x/4x PCIe so no 16x for single card. Pretty big drawback imo.
    For Gigabyte in that range I'd consider the GA-P55A-UD4P (or the UD4 which is a little less but also microATX)
    May 28, 2010 9:14:58 AM

I'm starting to wonder whether going with a AM3 system and selling the i5-750 is the best course of action. X58 is a little overkill with gaming, even with the cheap i7 920 EOL prices. Plus I'd have to switch from dual channel RAM with the 1366 setup.

I can't seem to find a suitable P55 board, especially after looking over this poll. The second P7P55D-E PRO is going through an RMA. I won't buy that board again.
    a b V Motherboard
    May 28, 2010 3:31:26 PM

I agree the X58 is overkill and too expensive for just a gaming rig - unless you've got the cash to burn, then hey why not lol.

Seems like the noise is only in ASUS boards. That poll you linked doesn't really have much info, and the Gigabyte board wasn't the same noise (pretty sure the noise he's talking about is entirely normal operation noise).

Anyway, do what you have to do. AMD is going to save a bit of money I guess but they're not quite as good... tho again, for just gaming they're entirely adequete.
    May 28, 2010 4:12:59 PM

Budget VS Performance

Ive been debating it and the price difference seems small. $100-$150 difference if you look for deals, between a p55 i5 or a x58 i7. X58 gets better PCI-E lanes in most cases. x58 (16x16 or 16x8x8) as appose to p55 16x8/8x8/8x8x4.

People say these are minor, but for a multi-GPU setup, having the slightly higher CPU + these better lanes would likely be a noticable performance increase.

IF you are going multi-gpu with 5870 - 5970 it would seem wise to go ahead and get a x58 and make the most out of your expensive cards.

-edit- Actually to be fair, its probably more like a $150-$200 increase..
    a b V Motherboard
    May 29, 2010 7:14:00 AM

Hey guys I found out how to get rid of the squeal on the ASUS boards. Just change C States from AUTO to C3 limit. I guess it's the C6 state which causes it. I have mine at C3 so turbo works and there's no high pitch whine. Try it out and let me know if it works for you as well.
    May 29, 2010 11:42:48 AM

wolfram23 said:
    Hey guys I found out how to get rid of the squeal on the ASUS boards. Just change C States from AUTO to C3 limit. I guess it's the C6 state which causes it. I have mine at C3 so turbo works and there's no high pitch whine. Try it out and let me know if it works for you as well.

Has that affected temperatures and power consumption at all? Disabling C-STATE makes all four physical cores active, I'm wondering if removing the C4-C6 states will cause the same effect.

C-STATE Tech uses the higher states to place unused physical cores into "sleep" states (cores 2, 3 and 4, for example) for when application only uses one core, which may happen a lot. I think C4 is "deep sleep" so maybe that's not as useful on workstations compared to portable? The benefit of inactive cores is that the multiplier isn't locked in Turbo Mode. For i5-750 the maximum is 24x while i7-860 is 26x with only one core active.

Can you leave C1E Enhanced State on with that setting? With the P7P55D-E PRO, I found that only with both disabled would the noise dampen. Using any USB device though, amplified the noise - and how do you use a system without USB?

As for finding a motherboard, I've been mostly looking at Gigabyte's layouts and specifications. I'll probably try another P55 board with no reported noises before giving up the i5-750 as it's a decent processor. Even if it does whine, it may not be as loud as the previous boards, which could be manageable enough to not make me whine. :D 
    May 29, 2010 1:31:25 PM

I've never used Gigabyte hardware befor, but alot of people recommend them so they must be good.
    a b V Motherboard
    May 29, 2010 9:27:42 PM

Perikaryon said:
    Has that affected temperatures and power consumption at all? Disabling C-STATE makes all four physical cores active, I'm wondering if removing the C4-C6 states will cause the same effect.

C-STATE Tech uses the higher states to place unused physical cores into "sleep" states (cores 2, 3 and 4, for example) for when application only uses one core, which may happen a lot. I think C4 is "deep sleep" so maybe that's not as useful on workstations compared to portable? The benefit of inactive cores is that the multiplier isn't locked in Turbo Mode. For i5-750 the maximum is 24x while i7-860 is 26x with only one core active.

Can you leave C1E Enhanced State on with that setting? With the P7P55D-E PRO, I found that only with both disabled would the noise dampen. Using any USB device though, amplified the noise - and how do you use a system without USB?

As for finding a motherboard, I've been mostly looking at Gigabyte's layouts and specifications. I'll probably try another P55 board with no reported noises before giving up the i5-750 as it's a decent processor. Even if it does whine, it may not be as loud as the previous boards, which could be manageable enough to not make me whine. :D 

C3 is also an idle/inactive core mode so with C3 limit it still deactivates cores to allow turbo to function normal. I have C1E and EIST on. If I totally disable C states then I cannot use turbo. And like I said, that squeal is completely gone. It still consumes relatively no power at idle and idle tems are pretty good as well - I noticed C6 would trick monitoring programs into thinking all the cores were 20 or even as low as 18C which obviously doesn't make sense in a 24C ambient room. Now idle is 31, 29, 30, 25 and that's with my overclock.

I really love this board actually, I fried my MSI P55GD65 trying to get stable at 180 bclk... I tried a whole gamut of settings and couldn't get it stable. I realise now I just needed a bit more Vcore not more Vtt but anyway, I have this ASUS board stable with 1.3625V Vcore and 1.206V Vtt which is within Intel specs =D. This gives me 3.8ghz with 3 and 4 cores, and a whoping 4.3ghz with 1 and 2 cores. I have to still run a long Prime95 to make sure it's 100% but so far Intel Burn Test has been all passes :) 
    May 30, 2010 3:42:39 AM

Sounds like an effective work around then. As long as its letting the cores deactivate properly etc.

Things like this would make me horribly paranoid though. Incase it causes more problems in the future.
    Products should function as intended you kno?
    June 10, 2010 2:06:33 AM

Hello, it's me again, partially resurrecting this thread.

I've spent my free time doing more homework on different boards and had my mind set on the Gigabyte offerings, specifically the GA-P55A-UD3P or GA-P55-USB3. There's a fair few limitations with these boards but it looks like most are unavoidable with the 1156/P55 chipset.

After looking through the manuals, the main thing that stood out was the layout of the board. In comparison to the previous ASUS board, the fan headers are placed in awkward locations and the F_AUDIO (Front Panel Audio) is located near the back panel audio connectors. I personally wouldn't find any use in the older interfaces that take up space along the lower edges of the board. In respect to "that noise", the Gigabyte boards don't seem to be quite as bad, just "clanking" in some cases from the PSU.

In short, it's come down to whether it's worth giving ASUS another shot or switching to another manufacturer. My older systems have typically been ASUS or GIGABYTE, so it's a toss-up. The prospect of having to disassemble and RMA a motherboard is not appealing. I'm tempted to grab a hot glue gun and go wild, probably voiding the future board's warranty though. The noise from both P7P55D-E PRO boards was bad. Hopefully other boards are not effected as much. I don't mind fan noise (AKA jet plane taking off) but a high pitched digital/electrical noise made my ears ring.

At this point in time; the Crossfire/SLI and USB3/SATA3 are all secondary to having a reliable, quiet and stable P55 board for an i5-750 and 5850. This is mainly why I was looking at boards with lesser inductors/chokes around the socket region, hopefully reducing the chance of noise should it be coil whine from a certain selection of components (plus less money burnt if I do go crazy with the glue gun!). For example, there's been little to no reports with the GA-P55M-UD2 causing high pitched noises. The lack of VRM cooling is unsettling however, plus I'm not really after a mATX board.

The information regarding the P7P55D PRO is useful. Only both C1E/C-STATE worked on both boards and even then the noise was only really 80-90% dampened. I wish I had more components readily available to identify which boards have the problem. I did notice that a lot of people are reporting that power supplies, specifically Corsair, may have some connection to the high pitched whine. Mine is a HX series 750w. With the second board, I did try an older Seasonic M12 power supply but it had no effect.
    June 10, 2010 2:26:30 AM

There are so many people reporting zero noise with the Asus, Its really unsettling im sure. After two that are bad, I would be hard pressed to try again as well.. :|

Im pretty sure ill be trying the board out, and pray every day as I get closer to purchase day, that I wont be one of the unlucky few that have to play the RMA musical chairs game.
    June 10, 2010 1:21:01 PM

It could possibly be down to a bad batch. I did notice that both boards started with similar digits on the serial numbers. Does anyone know how ASUS label specific batches with motherboards? IIRC, Gigabyte tend to use the first few numbers of the serial.

It is a little unlucky to get two boards from two different stores that make the noise though. I tried a different power supply and graphics card with the second board while running with minimal components/periperhals connected. It was worse than the first.

There was a significant noise increase when using any of the USB ports. Don't see an absolute workaround apart from disabling the controller/s. This might be down to the power drawn causing resonance with the little "1R2E" blocks (power chokes?) lining the socket area. I honestly think it's a hardware component problem, the coils being loose and not dampened by any form of gel/glue solution, which is making the resonance. I know varnish can work with whiney graphic cards.

In similar news - Gigabyte released a new BIOS to fix a "socket whine" with the GA-X58A-UD3R boards (as well as a board revision) but as you can see from these reports, it doesn't sound like their workaround fixed anything, which is a shame.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=1426.210
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1493744&page=18

There's a user stating the newer BIOS disabled C1E globally regardless of the enabled/disabled status set in the BIOS.
    http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=1426.msg91...
    a b V Motherboard
    June 10, 2010 2:14:50 PM

Hmm yeah I've read people having no noise with their ASUS boards. Mine is nice and quiet after simply chaning the C States from C6 to C3. With C6 it was definitely giving a high pitch sound at idle but now it's perfectly quiet. I just got the board recently too... maybe the original batches were a lot worse or something. And I still get the power reduction at idle, it drops to 14W from 118W according to HWMonitor.
    June 10, 2010 2:48:47 PM

ASUS customer service sent me a feedback information document to complete, which may help identify what the actual cause is. The most recent board (#2) is still going through an RMA process, so I don't have that on hand for more testing. I haven't heard much from the supplier regarding the state of the process.

As for what to do. I'll probably bite the bullet and order another board next week and test it outside of the case (to save wasted cable tidying). As to which P55 board, I have no clue. Unless I can find a local retailer (the one I emailed, didn't respond lol), I'd rather not go with another P7P55D-E PRO. The RMA process has a lot of downtime.

With all the recent news of "new" sockets across the board next year, I'm tempted to spend a little less on a board so I can spend more next time. By less, I don't mean below $100 budget. Unless the newer SSDs (Q4) can saturate SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 devices (external HDs/USB drives) are on the horizon, I can't see much use personally with the new specifications. As for Crossfire, by the time the 5850 can't keep up, I'll probably be using one of the newer series (are they next year too?)

So what runs one graphics card and doesn't make a noise?

..and no, it's not the intro to a joke :kaola: 
    !