Opinions on my PSU?

The OCZ Z series are brand new power supplies that were introduced about two months ago. I did manage to find technical reviews of the 650 watt version. If the 550 watt version is anything like it's big brother, then performance will be more than adequate. The specifications for the power supply are what I would expect for a high quality psu. Competent technical reviews will be required before a valid opinion can be made.

There are two items I object to.

First, the data label is misleading. It indicates the power supply has four +12 volt rails rated at 18 amps each. The actual total current (amps) is based on the maximum wattage which is listed as 534 watts. When divided by 12 volts the total current is 44 amps. In all probablity those are not genuine separate rails. They are probably "virtual rails". It is an advertising gimmick. There was a big stink about it a few years ago. Psu's with true multiple rails were very high wattage units designed for use with overclocked high end systems with three or four video cards.

Second, the advertising claims the 550 watt power supply is dual gpu ready and Nvidia SLI certified. The 550 watt power supply would not be able to power an overclocked system with two high end, power hungry video cards operating in SLI mode. One card yes, but two cards no.

We'll just have to wait for the technical reviews.

anonymousdude

Distinguished

The power supply is fine as JohnnyLucky said. The temps may be caused by bad airflow in your case, dust in the fan, etc.

moopato

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
No the card is brand new, has 100% no dust. I've got all the fans instaled on my antec 200 case and i have the side panel one blowing air right onto the card. does that mean the card is f'ed?

anonymousdude

Distinguished

Maybe try a different program to monitor temps like everest or Hwmonitor and see if there is a difference.

popatim

Titan
rather shady specs. 12v * 18a * 4 is over 800w. 550w from (115v@6a) 690w input is only 79% efficiency with my math.

This should be ok with basic SLI and light OC'ing, i dont see it having Crossfire certification but should be ok with that too. An I7 rig at 3.3Ghz with dual 5870's only used 430W. Still I'd like a better 'cushion'.

popatim - There is a tendency for people to simply add the current (amps) listed for each +12 volt "virtual" rail. It doesn't work that way. Instead you use the maximum wattage for the +12 volt rail(s). For this power supply it is listed as 534 watts. It's right on the data label. Divide by 12 volts which works out to a total current of 44 amps.

moopato - This power supply is insufficent for an ATI Radeon HD 5970 video card.

ATI Radeon™ HD5970 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

650 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin and one 150 watt, 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors

850 Watt power supply or greater with two 75 watt 6-pin, and two 150 watt, 8-pin, PCI Express connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system

For a pc system with one HD 5870 or one HD 5850 video card the OCZ Z series 550 watt power supply will be okay! :D