Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Boot
  • Intel i5
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 2, 2012 12:42:39 AM

Hi

I am having trouble over clocking my i5 2500K past 3.46Ghz. I am using an intel DZ68DB motherboard. I am able to change the multiplayer but when I go higher then 105 my computer won't boot, it just displays a small white dash on a black background on the screen. I have tried changing the voltages and everything but it just won't boot if its set to more then 105. I appreciate any help you can give.

More about : clock 2500k past 46ghz

April 2, 2012 12:52:47 AM

albertsw said:
Hi

I am having trouble over clocking my i5 2500K past 3.46Ghz. I am using an intel DZ68DB motherboard. I am able to change the multiplayer but when I go higher then 105 my computer won't boot, it just displays a small white dash on a black background on the screen. I have tried changing the voltages and everything but it just won't boot if its set to more then 105. I appreciate any help you can give.

List the other specs of your system namely the heatsink/cooler your using and psu.
m
l
April 2, 2012 12:53:57 AM

That's not the multiplier. That's the base clock you are changing. Messing with that can mess up your computer bad if it gets too much over 107-108ish. Your multiplier will be a number "33", that's what you want to change. 33 is your default 3.3ghz, 40 will give you 4.0, etc. Set your base clock back to 100 and do your overclocking with that number instead. Much better (and SAFER) results will follow.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 12:54:50 AM

You set the multiplier at 10X the speed you want. If you are trying to get 4.0 GHz set it to 40, 4.5GHz set it to 45. Got it?
m
l
a c 238 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 1:46:32 AM

Yargnit said:
That's not the multiplier. That's the base clock you are changing. Messing with that can mess up your computer bad if it gets too much over 107-108ish. Your multiplier will be a number "33", that's what you want to change. 33 is your default 3.3ghz, 40 will give you 4.0, etc. Set your base clock back to 100 and do your overclocking with that number instead. Much better (and SAFER) results will follow.

^ This.

You are not safe raising the BCLK over 100. It can and will damage other components. Read your manual and some other overclocking guides and try again when you have a better idea how to do it correctly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 2:09:08 AM

you can ruin your cpu pretty easy overclocking the BCLK over 100. should probably quit messing around if you dont have a clue what you are doing
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 2:10:03 AM

albertsw said:
Hi

i echo what everyone else has said except the guy below.

chase3567 said:
List the other specs of your system namely the heatsink/cooler your using and psu.

i strongly advise not giving recommendations to people when you dont have the knowledge yourself. anyone with knowledge of the Sandy bridge overclocking would know it had nothing to do with his cooler/heatsink
m
l
April 2, 2012 2:10:08 AM

I set the base clock back to 100. I tried to set the multiplier past 33(it is called "Maximum Non-Turbo Ratio" in my BIOS) but it just reverts back to 33 as soon as i deselect it. I am using a 380W psu and I am using the stock heatsink. At 3.46Ghz my cpu temp was about 37-41 degrees Celsius all the time. I don't know what to try next.
m
l
a c 238 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 2:24:49 AM

You should not even be trying to overclock with stock cooling.

Tom's review of your board with overclock settings.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68xp-ud3-dz68db,29...

Make sure to keep your CPU voltage under 1.4v. Anything over 1.4v can seriously reduce the lifespan of your chip due to electromigration. In fact it's better to keep it close to 1.3v. There is no real reason to go past 4.5Ghz anyway except bragging rites. Very few programs scale past 4.5Ghz. You should be able to hit 4.5Ghz around 1.3v.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 2:54:39 AM

albertsw said:
I set the base clock back to 100. I tried to set the multiplier past 33(it is called "Maximum Non-Turbo Ratio" in my BIOS) but it just reverts back to 33 as soon as i deselect it. I am using a 380W psu and I am using the stock heatsink. At 3.46Ghz my cpu temp was about 37-41 degrees Celsius all the time. I don't know what to try next.

try turning turbo off completely
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 3:15:56 AM

Try reading some articles here at Toms and im sure other forums that have all this information available for the non-lazy. And why would you try to OC anything on a 380w power supply that im going to assume is not a good quality one.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 6:11:42 AM

1-Get an aftermarket cooler.
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 11:14:33 AM

albertsw said:
Hi

Overclocking is not something to do without the knowledge of how to do it, or else you will become one of the learned the hard way group, after you have destroyed a perfectly fine and operational computer.

You don't even know the difference between the multiplier and the base clock, so my best advice is stop now, set everything back to default settings, and if you desire to overclock start reading up on how to do it first.

In the process of learning how to do it you will learn the hardware requirements of accomplishing your overclock goal, like for instance keeping everything cool, usually solved with after market not stock coolers, you'll also learn the limitations of the hardware you chose for your build, motherboard, memory, power supply, etc.

Once you have all that knowledge under your belt then reconsider overclocking.

Good Luck to you!
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 11:28:41 AM

Hello
4Ryan6 said:
Overclocking is not something to do without the knowledge of how to do it, or else you will become one of the learned the hard way group, after you have destroyed a perfectly fine and operational computer.

You don't even know the difference between the multiplier and the base clock, so my best advice is stop now, set everything back to default settings, and if you desire to overclock start reading up on how to do it first.

In the process of learning how to do it you will learn the hardware requirements of accomplishing your overclock goal, like for instance keeping everything cool, usually solved with after market not stock coolers, you'll also learn the limitations of the hardware you chose for your build, motherboard, memory, power supply, etc.

Once you have all that knowledge under your belt then reconsider overclocking.

Good Luck to you!

+1.

If you want to experiment on overclocking, find an old cpu/mobo that you dont have any problem damagin it and being without pc after this and learn without the consequences.
:) 
m
l
April 2, 2012 10:38:54 PM

yep, when i did my first overclock (on my first build) i did a LOT of research into it, so that i knew exactly what i was doing. and yeah like what the other members have said, you'll need an aftermarker cooler, keep the voltage below 1.4 and don't ise the base clock!
m
l
!