Problems with First Boot

I assembled my system the other day and things are not working too well at this point. I hit the power button and the CPU fan and the rear fan turn on and that's about all I can see going on. The monitor remains completely blank (when I unplug it, it tells me "no signal" as it should. The reset button does not respond.

The problems I encountered when assembling were these:
- The case is a cheap Rosewill R102-P-BK (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147111). No manual to be found, which wouldn't be a huge problem except I couldn't see anything that indicates +/- for the front panel cables for the power, LEDs, reset, etc. It would seem that I guessed right with the power button because that worked. On most of them there is a white wire and a colored wire. Any hard and fast rules on which is the grounded wire that Rosewill assumed I should have just known? I tried booting with the speaker placed in both directions (figured at least one orientation would have to work) and got no beeps from either.

-The PSU I'm using is an Antec Basiq and the motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394). The motherboard has an 8-pin power connector aside from the 24-pin. However, the PSU only has a 12v (P4) aside from the main connector. Is that a problem?

I'm using an external (USB) optical drive. Can my system pick it up before I've installed the OS and drivers? Same with a wireless keyboard and mouse?

It's a relatively simple build using what I believe are quality parts (Gigabyte, Antec, Crucial), so I thought the set-up would be relatively problem free. However, the front panel wiring and the PSU connectors threw me for a loop.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about problems boot
  1. Have you been through every step in the READ before posting about boot problems! sticky at the top of the forum?

What are your complete system specs?
  2. I did read that FAQ. Item #2 would apply, and I will substitute my 4 pin for the 8-pin. I did not do that initially because there is a warning in my PSU manual that states: "Note: the detachable 4-pin section cannot be used in place of a 4-pin +12V connector." I see that refers to the detatchable 4 pin section of the 20/24 pin main connector and not the secondary 4 pin connector, but I didn't realize it at the time.

The other one that would help is #16, and I have read the mother board side of the equation, but with no manual for the case telling me which is +/-. I see I don't need to worry about polarity for the pw & reset, but for the LEDs I do.

Complete System Specs:
    Rosewill R102-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower
    AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
    GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
    AVerMedia AVerTVHD Bravo PCTV Tuner MTVHDBRAR PCI-Express x1 Interface

I'll try the 4 pin when I get home and report how that goes.
  3. What power supply are you using?

Did you perform steps 6 - 8 to rule out the RAM as the problem?
  4. Oops, forgot that one: Antec Basiq 430w
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Power Systems Product