Problems with First Boot

beehew

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I assembled my system the other day and things are not working too well at this point. I hit the power button and the CPU fan and the rear fan turn on and that's about all I can see going on. The monitor remains completely blank (when I unplug it, it tells me "no signal" as it should. The reset button does not respond.

The problems I encountered when assembling were these:
- The case is a cheap Rosewill R102-P-BK (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147111). No manual to be found, which wouldn't be a huge problem except I couldn't see anything that indicates +/- for the front panel cables for the power, LEDs, reset, etc. It would seem that I guessed right with the power button because that worked. On most of them there is a white wire and a colored wire. Any hard and fast rules on which is the grounded wire that Rosewill assumed I should have just known? I tried booting with the speaker placed in both directions (figured at least one orientation would have to work) and got no beeps from either.

-The PSU I'm using is an Antec Basiq and the motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394). The motherboard has an 8-pin power connector aside from the 24-pin. However, the PSU only has a 12v (P4) aside from the main connector. Is that a problem?

I'm using an external (USB) optical drive. Can my system pick it up before I've installed the OS and drivers? Same with a wireless keyboard and mouse?

It's a relatively simple build using what I believe are quality parts (Gigabyte, Antec, Crucial), so I thought the set-up would be relatively problem free. However, the front panel wiring and the PSU connectors threw me for a loop.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

beehew

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I did read that FAQ. Item #2 would apply, and I will substitute my 4 pin for the 8-pin. I did not do that initially because there is a warning in my PSU manual that states: "Note: the detachable 4-pin section cannot be used in place of a 4-pin +12V connector." I see that refers to the detatchable 4 pin section of the 20/24 pin main connector and not the secondary 4 pin connector, but I didn't realize it at the time.

The other one that would help is #16, and I have read the mother board side of the equation, but with no manual for the case telling me which is +/-. I see I don't need to worry about polarity for the pw & reset, but for the LEDs I do.

Complete System Specs:
Rosewill R102-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower
AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
AVerMedia AVerTVHD Bravo PCTV Tuner MTVHDBRAR PCI-Express x1 Interface

I'll try the 4 pin when I get home and report how that goes.