Sign in with
Your question

How much RAM does your i7 system actually use?

Last response: in Memory
May 16, 2010 5:01:51 AM

I'd just like to get some feedback from several i7 system builders on this: How much RAM does your i7 system actually use, and what programs are you running when it uses the most RAM?

Obviously, I'm trying to decide how much RAM I need.

Thanks

More about : ram system

May 16, 2010 5:56:35 AM

AARRGGHHH said:
I'd just like to get some feedback from several i7 system builders on this: How much RAM does your i7 system actually use, and what programs are you running when it uses the most RAM?

Obviously, I'm trying to decide how much RAM I need.

Thanks

Really depends on what you do and what's your budget. With your average internet use and gaming, you're good with 4GB or 6GB. If you do intend to keep your PC for a while and do load some big files (video or audio editing), then it'd probably be better to get 8GB or 12GB.

Greater than 12GB (i.e. 16GB or up), would probably only make sense with some server apps or multiple instances of applications.

You do have to take into account that Windows 7 does use part of the ram as a "cache" for SuperFetch. So it may be possible that, for example having 4GB of ram, 2GB is used by SuperFetch, and only 1GB is actually used by your programs.
May 16, 2010 11:56:18 PM

Thank you, but I understand the general numbers as to how much RAM a system needs.

I'm trying to get some specific answers from i7 users as to (1) how much RAM their systems actually use, and (2) what programs are open when they use the most RAM.

Comments are invited (ideally from as many i7 users as possible).
Related resources
May 17, 2010 7:05:50 AM

AARRGGHHH said:
I'm trying to get some specific answers from i7 users as to (1) how much RAM their systems actually use, and (2) what programs are open when they use the most RAM.

I don't see why you need specific i7 users, when at the end of the day the i7 is just a processor like any other. Get it based on your needs, be your processor a Sempron, Celeron or an i7.
a c 150 } Memory
May 17, 2010 9:04:23 AM

It is the operating system and programs you run that decide RAM usage NOT the processor or motherboard. With an i7 you will be fine with a 6GB triple channel kit. If you do photo/video editing or use other software that needs more you can always upgrade to 12Gb.
May 17, 2010 9:51:07 AM

All the above replies are valid. Have you by any chance encountered a problem or a "problem"? When I have office open, Firefox, and photoshop doing photomerging of say 15 photographs it takes on Win7 64bit more than 4GBytes of RAM.

a b } Memory
May 17, 2010 9:59:18 AM

When I'm idling just around 1.5GB on average, when I'm gaming normally around 3GB, depending on the game. I'll try video editing soon and see how much RAM I use.
May 18, 2010 12:24:08 PM

Running 6gb of Corsair Dominator maxing out around 3gb in games and encoding was just slightly more
May 19, 2010 12:50:50 AM

Many thanks to delazaren, Lmeow, and Kyle140, for providing the real world answers I was looking for.
June 1, 2010 10:11:42 PM

I am about the same as kyle140 but i have seen my mem usage go slightly over 4 gb.

Cooler master 932 Red Dragon
Intel i7- 920 (CPU)
Window 7 (64 bit)
Cooler master V8 (CPU cooler)
P6T Deluxe V2 (Motherboard)
Antec 1200 True Power Quattro (PSU)
G.skill Tri-Channel DDR3-1333 3 X 2GB (Memory)
HIS Radeon HD 5770 (Graphics card)
Dual Dell 1905FP (Monitors)
a b } Memory
June 2, 2010 3:57:14 AM

6gb DDR3 corsair dominator ram on win7 64

Most I've seen is about 50-70% while running some high end games. When I had 3gb it was about 60-90% on the same games.
June 2, 2010 12:37:35 PM

photoshop/lightroom and many many simultaneously loaded 14+ megapixel DSLR RAW photos will easily consume jobs of memory especially if you have other apps open as well.
a b } Memory
June 2, 2010 1:42:54 PM

Running 6GB with an i7 960. The most I see is around half of that, running my game, ventrilo, browser with at least half a dozen tabs open, and playing music. When I bring work home and use Office, I *might* use 20%.

If you're planning on playing with Video encoding and Photoshop, then you may want to consider 12GB. But 6GB should be plenty even for gamers.
June 16, 2010 8:34:37 AM

Thank you again for the real world examples, I appreciate the info.

lmao: "Trying to make up his mind whether the current situation is due to an overabundance of high quality pharmaceuticals freely available on the Internet. ...or not enough of them." :) 
June 17, 2010 3:12:23 AM

lol i was looking at thinking wtf?...lol its funny but totally RANDOM (izer) JK!!!
!