compaq laptop keyboard problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2004 12:06:03 PM

I'm trying to help someone with their compaq laptop which has 2 keys on
the kb not responding. I removed the keycaps and no amount of cleaning or
pressure will make keystrokes occur for these keys.

Can I assume they need professional help at this point? probably a new
keyboard?

If so, it was only a $700 laptop when bought some years ago, any idea what
it would cost to repair it?

thanks.

Chip
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2004 12:06:04 PM

Chip Orange wrote:
> I'm trying to help someone with their compaq laptop which has 2
> keys on the kb not responding. I removed the keycaps and no amount
> of cleaning or pressure will make keystrokes occur for these keys.
>
> Can I assume they need professional help at this point? probably a
> new keyboard?
>

> If so, it was only a $700 laptop when bought some years ago, any idea
> what it would cost to repair it?
>
> thanks.
>
> Chip

eBay, perhaps, has your answer.

a b D Laptop
June 19, 2004 4:45:42 PM

news:D amdnbGQKfBa2Und4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> Chip Orange wrote:
> > I'm trying to help someone with their compaq laptop which has 2
> > keys on the kb not responding. I removed the keycaps and no amount
> > of cleaning or pressure will make keystrokes occur for these keys.
> >
> > Can I assume they need professional help at this point? probably a
> > new keyboard?
> >

> > If so, it was only a $700 laptop when bought some years ago, any idea
> > what it would cost to repair it?
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > Chip
>
> eBay, perhaps, has your answer.

Sorry, not quite following you, do you mean tell them to sell it or tell
them to buy a keyboard component for a compaq laptop? I've thought about
suggesting they just use it with an external keyboard attached (it's only
used as a desktop replacement), because as you can guess, money is something
of an issue.

It's also got any number of software problems I need to straighten out, but
since I can't use some critical keys, they'll have to wait.

Chip
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2004 4:52:33 PM

Chip Orange wrote:
> news:D amdnbGQKfBa2Und4p2dnA@comcast.com...
>> Chip Orange wrote:
>>> I'm trying to help someone with their compaq laptop which has 2
>>> keys on the kb not responding. I removed the keycaps and no amount
>>> of cleaning or pressure will make keystrokes occur for these keys.
>>>
>>> Can I assume they need professional help at this point? probably a
>>> new keyboard?
>>>

>>> If so, it was only a $700 laptop when bought some years ago, any
>>> idea what it would cost to repair it?
>>>
>>> thanks.
>>>
>>> Chip
>>
>> eBay, perhaps, has your answer.

> Sorry, not quite following you, do you mean tell them to sell it or
> tell them to buy a keyboard component for a compaq laptop? I've
> thought about suggesting they just use it with an external keyboard
> attached (it's only used as a desktop replacement), because as you
> can guess, money is something of an issue.
>
> It's also got any number of software problems I need to straighten
> out, but since I can't use some critical keys, they'll have to wait.
>
> Chip

ebay has parts for many laptops, a keyboard can be had for maybe
$25-$30, if there is one listed. An external kb will work, also.
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 6:37:03 AM

re-install the windows after cleaning your hard drive.
if still the keys do not work, then time to buy a keyboard.

"Chip Orange" <acorange@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o sCdnX4YOKezsUndRVn-gg@comcast.com...
> I'm trying to help someone with their compaq laptop which has 2 keys
on
> the kb not responding. I removed the keycaps and no amount of cleaning or
> pressure will make keystrokes occur for these keys.
>
> Can I assume they need professional help at this point? probably a new
> keyboard?
>

> If so, it was only a $700 laptop when bought some years ago, any idea what
> it would cost to repair it?
>
> thanks.
>
> Chip

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 7:01:19 AM

Ok, well, it's probably the keyboard, and you probably will need to
replace it. There's a chance it's the keyboard controller, which is on
the motherboard, but it's more likely to be the keyboard itself.

If you can find a keyboard on E-Bay, expect to pay $20 to $40. A new
keyboard from a "real" parts distributor could be anywhere from $50 to
$120 -- prices vary over a wide range. If it's the motherboard, a "new"
replacement is out of the question, and it may be all but impossible to
replace anyway (on some laptops, motherboard replacement is nearly
impossible). However, you may be able to find a motherboard -- or an
entire computer, including keyboard AND motherboard -- on E-Bay at a
very reasonable price ($100 or less) because it has a smashed LCD
screen. Even if the hard drives and other parts have been stripped
(which is often the case), that may be your best repair approach.

!