Reliable Routers

Ericmp1

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Hello All!

I'm searching for a reliable router and am looking for any feedback on the subject. I've had bad luck with both the Netgear and Linksys brands (low end) and am looking to test another product. My spending limit is about $100.00 U.S. dollars. I'd appreciate any feedback at all. Thank you.

Regards,
Eric

karlh

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Hi Eric,

I'm curious about what you mean by bad luck. I've had two Linksys wireless routers over the years. The first went bad, the second was an improvement from the perspective of the options in the setup. I recently got a Netgear WNR3500. It added repeating capabilty, so now I can have a wireless access point on the second floor. I like it so much I got another one from eBay (each about $50) with the intent of replacing the Linksys on the first floor.

The issue I've had with routers for a long time is that they require periodic rebooting. From the reading I did earlier and talking with some techie's it seems that continues to be an issue with the most recent routers. I've never gotten an explanations as to why that is.

The wireless function on first Netgear WNR3500 would stop working for no reason about 3-4 times a week. It was very inconvienent. Since getting the second WNR3500 use it instead of the first one that I got. The original Linksys is still downstairs. I've not had any issues with the second WNR3500. I still have to reboot the downstairs cable modem and routers once every couple of weeks, but I've only caught the netgear creating a bottleneck once in the past 3 months.

So what kind of issues have you had? Similar? I'd spend $300 on a router if I knew it would work reliabley over a long period of tiime.