Sign in with
Your question

Will SSD compared to 7200rpm improve runtime performance of apps/game?

Last response: in Storage
October 8, 2011 12:15:47 PM

Intent:
- I want to get an average SSD for OS and main applications + games in order to make sure that my current 7200rpm hdd isnt bottlenecking their runtime performance on a fairly powerful pc that i plan to put together soon (something along the lines of i7-970, 24gb ram, mid-range nvidia gpu, win7 64bit)

- Purpose of the pc is primarily hobby 3d+2d graphics work (maya, ae, etc) and mmo gaming

Question:
First off, i dont want to go for SSD because of a faster pc bootup and applications/games loading into ram faster during their initial launch. I dont mind waiting a bit longer for that in a case of 7200rpm hdd. What im interested in tho is whether an SSD could noticably increase the runtime performance of applications/games that have been ALREADY launched and for the most part loaded into ram (ie. playing a game, working in a complex 3d app)

Specific examples to better describe the main question:
In reality, on a pc similar to what im aiming for, could a 7200rpm hdd really be noticably bottlenecking the act of a 3d game (which has already been launched) loading new textures, models etc. as i quickly enter whole new areas in it that werent loaded in ram yet or working in an already loaded 3d creation software which loads/executes additional scripts and parts of itself during runtime that werent loaded into memory during its initial startup? (possibly assuming that this kind of cpu+mb+ram+gpu can process the data coming from the hdd instantly or at least much faster than the hdd could possibly serve them in even at its 100% bandwidth)

Related off-topic questions:
- Looking for software that would be able to somewhat realtime monitor HDD performance i/o bandwidth or % workload, something like everest with its OSD which unfortunately only shows hdd temperature as far as im aware. (Currently using windows built in resource monitor)

- How do i setup pagefiles and temp/scratch folders for applications if i have OS + apps/games on the SSD. Do i put them primarily on the ssd itself as well as the other 7200rpms? Or does it not matter when i have 24gb ram. I still preffer to have things optimized tho

Thanks in advance for any kind of shared info
a c 179 G Storage
October 8, 2011 1:28:27 PM

A SSD is about 50x faster than any hard drive in random i/o.
It is 2-3x faster in sequential i/o.

To the extent that anything you do requires disk access, the ssd will speed things up.
In your example, loading new parts of a game that are not already in ram will happen faster.
Such things as automatic game saves will also happen faster.

Under the windows resource monitor, you can select response time for disk operations, as well as the activity.

Do not bother to micromanage ssd file placement.
Leave the page file and scratch files there. Fast i/o is what you want for these files anyway.
A normal desktop user will not use up the number of ssd writes so dont' worry about longevity.
The SSD will be long obsolete before you do. Think on the order of 10 years life.
You can get some indication of life with s.m.a.r.t. data.
Set the sata mode to ahci so you can use the trim command.

For 24gb, you will need better than w7 home pro which is limited to 16gb.
!