Sign in with
Your question

XSPC Owners Clubhouse

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 7:11:44 PM

This is the place for Owners or prospective owners of the XSPC Range,

whether it be a Cpu block, Radiator, reservoir and pump combo or complete kit,
The general idea for this thread is to become a repository of tips, factual information and assistance for folks,

IT IS NOT A GALLERY.

As much as I would love to see a ton of Rasa/Raystorm kit pictures, I would prefer you post them in the W/c members gallery for everyone to admire, not in here please
(for help with specific problems, make a thread and post a link to it here)
W/c Gallery,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/266324-11-water-coo...

W/c guide sticky,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265776-11-read-firs...

Rasa block mounting instruction sticky,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274484-11-xspc-inst...

Raystorm review including mounting bolt layout
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/09/23/xspc-raystorm-cp...

List of helpful W/c members
[to have your name here P.m. me a request for inclusion on the list, this indicates your willingness to be Pm'd by random people seeking assistance :p ]

Rubix_1011
Boiler1990
Saint19
4Ryan6
Proximon

Thankyou to Rubix_1011 for the idea,
I will add more links into this top post for quick reference but for now, lets have some input and ideas from you guys

Moto

Return to Tom's Watercooling Hardware Owner index

More about : xspc owners clubhouse

a c 190 K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 7:13:33 PM

I suppose one of the first links should be to the Xspc site, home of our water-based shinies,
http://www.xs-pc.com/
Specialtech have the Raystorm D5 kits now, no excuses....
http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/search.php...

I will add reviews and comparisons when I get time, for now its just to get the thread started

Radiators then,
The Rs series is going to be overlooked here because the Ex series is the same thickness but performs like the Rx series, so availability not being an issue I, and most here will recommend the Ex rads if a slimline is required due to space problems.

http://skinneelabs.com/xspc-rx120-v1/ the baby of the group, 120's can often be squeezed in a small space like drivebays/Hdd cages to add a little more oomph to a loop, or as a single rad in a small case (non-overclocked ofc)
I'm struggling to find a review on the Rx240, if you find one please Pm me the link **Mine is very nice though, well built and solid**
http://skinneelabs.com/xspc-rx360-v1/ I'd consider a 360 the 'standard' rad size as a lot of folks go straight to a Cpu and single Gpu loop
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forum [...] rs-Roundup more a comparison but you can see how the 480 heads up against some good competition here
I should note that these reviews are for the V1 rads, Xspc revised the manufacturing process and V2's offer slightly better flow, (although negligible in realworld numbers)

Ex120 review awaiting
Ex240 review awaiting
EX360 review awaiting **As much as my opinion counts, two EX360's, wellpackaged, solid rads and very happy**
Ex480 review awaiting

My X20 750l video, just to show they can run silently, the noise on initial firing up is the four fans on my 6950's, they soon settle though :) 

Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 7:13:45 PM

I should probably mention that I currently run a modifed Rx240 kit,
and will be adding another X20 750l pump/res along with two Ex360's soon to add my graphics cards into the loop
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 4:16:51 PM

From the link you posted yes,
its the vario D5 which as most of us know is a solid pump (Also, a lot of good pumps are just rebranded variants of http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1363&pageID=5442) and often recommended here for multi-block loops
As always though you should be aware of the restriction factors and flow in your loop,
as highlighted in the Gpu block reviews above some blocks are more restrictive than others for various reasons (Pin layout is no1 suspect to me) and single/multi performance should be considered when buying your Gpu blocks,
You may have a corker of a block for single card set-ups, but it could easily become Meh in a multi-card set up,
Again, this goes back to planning, design and research, three of the things we really cannot overstate the importance of when building your waterloop,
plan it to death and back before you consider spending a penny
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 4:19:00 PM

DDC pumps are typically better in higher restriction loops than the D5 which is better for higher flow.
a c 224 K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 5:37:49 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
From the link you posted yes,
its the vario D5 which as most of us know is a solid pump (Also, a lot of good pumps are just rebranded variants of http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1363&pageID=5442) and often recommended here for multi-block loops
As always though you should be aware of the restriction factors and flow in your loop,
as highlighted in the Gpu block reviews above some blocks are more restrictive than others for various reasons (Pin layout is no1 suspect to me) and single/multi performance should be considered when buying your Gpu blocks,
You may have a corker of a block for single card set-ups, but it could easily become Meh in a multi-card set up,

Again, this goes back to planning, design and research, three of the things we really cannot overstate the importance of when building your waterloop,
plan it to death and back before you consider spending a penny
Moto

Good points I discovered that myself with my 2 Heatkiller blocks on my 580GTXs, fortunately I have great cooling between the 2 GPU water blocks the way I set it up, the 2 GPUs added some serious heat to the total cooling loop definitely affecting my water temperatures.

What I previously could do with 1 block of ice now takes 2, but all is well in crazy land! :pt1cable: 

Not a thread Hijack for mentioning Heatkiller water blocks in here, I also own some XSPC products! :) 
a b K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 8:34:21 PM

Been using XSPC for years. Started off with the delta V3, rx240, and X2O 750 pump/res combo. That setup was ~$120. Paired with 2 silent fans there was absolutely no noise coming from my computer initially. After several years I got my 8120. Wasn't quite strong enough as is so I added 2 more silent fans for push/pull. max temp went from 56c to 45C, still no noise.

Recently I picked up a killer deal on Ebay, 2x 6970 with EK waterblocks and backplates.

Figured I might as well upgrade the cpu block, picked up the raystorm, added an ex 240, and purchased 4 - 2k rpm fans (I knew slow speed wouldn't keep up with 2 video cards)

Installed everything in the case (yes its all internal almost on my 12 year old computer case, modified some on the inside http://www.anandtech.com/show/383/2 . I had to cut the top for 2 of the fans to sit half way out)

almost final setup: Xspc h2o 750 > Raystorm block > Rx240 > gpu 1 >gpu 2 > Ex 240

I recently picked up a ddc to help the flow through the gpu blocks, but the xspc h2o can actually handle it, just has a temp difference of 4-5 degrees from gpu 1 to gpu 2. When I clean the loop I will add the ddc then.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 10:21:34 PM

How has your 750 pump been? Mines silent (100% full res) but I read a lot about how noisy/bad they can be,
This seems to have been an initial issue as the revised pumps don't seem to be a problem, but worth investigating nonetheless
On a sidenote, is the flowrate matched on the DDC? I see problems when one pump pushes harder than another, leading to failure of one or both pumps prematurely
Moto
a b K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 11:37:11 PM

Its dead silent. One thing I think is part of the noisy pumps is not getting the res full enough. If it sucks any air at all, you know it.

As for the DDC, its the smaller one, only paid $25 for it. I will be hooking it up mid loop so its not sucking directly off the xspc pump. Essentially it will be using the RX240 as its resivoir.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 11:44:29 PM

I fully agree on the level of the res being a contributory factor in noise, I'll link a vid of mine running when I get home in the morning,
**Edit posted in top,
Let us know how the DDC works out though :-)
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 3, 2012 11:52:52 PM

rubix_1011 said:
DDC pumps are typically better in higher restriction loops than the D5 which is better for higher flow.

I can't really check on the phone, but I'd reason that the DDC's have a higher head rating?
Giving them the strength to push through Northbridge, ram and other high restriction blocks
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 1:54:56 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
I can't really check on the phone, but I'd reason that the DDC's have a higher head rating?
Giving them the strength to push through Northbridge, ram and other high restriction blocks
Moto

You would be correct, my friend. :sol: 
April 4, 2012 2:36:14 AM

well, seems like a good place to ask, I was looking into the Rasa RX360 kit, and was wondering how good is it for a beginner on a budget of $300? would i be able to buy better components separately or would the Rasa be a good choice to start? I had a thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274621-29-liquid-cool... and Moto recommended that I post a link to it here, I also had chosen these components http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i383/Wolley74/?acti... but i was told i was missing a fitting. the CPU block in the picture is the incorrect one, this is the one that was supposed to be there http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15418/ex-blc-1075/Koo...

I will admit I am totally new to watercooling, but as my CPU is often under load for 6+ hours at a time, it seems like liquid would be both a good option, and a good hobby, I know it can and most likely will get expensive.

It would be cooling a Phenom II x4 955 and possibly a graphics card down the line, and used on my next build in about 6 months, and it would be going into my current case which is a Switch 810
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 3:16:41 AM

wolley74 said:
well, seems like a good place to ask, I was looking into the Rasa RX360 kit, and was wondering how good is it for a beginner on a budget of $300? would i be able to buy better components separately or would the Rasa be a good choice to start? I had a thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274621-29-liquid-cool... and Moto recommended that I post a link to it here, I also had chosen these components http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i383/Wolley74/?acti... but i was told i was missing a fitting. the CPU block in the picture is the incorrect one, this is the one that was supposed to be there http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15418/ex-blc-1075/Koo...

I will admit I am totally new to watercooling, but as my CPU is often under load for 6+ hours at a time, it seems like liquid would be both a good option, and a good hobby, I know it can and most likely will get expensive.

It would be cooling a Phenom II x4 955 and possibly a graphics card down the line, and used on my next build in about 6 months, and it would be going into my current case which is a Switch 810

Get the raystorm kit: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15140/ex-wat-203/XSPC... it has a better pump, res, and of course the raystorm cpu block.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 3:22:21 AM

Compression fittings are often favoured for neatness but in actuality theres no difference, a few of us have a mix of both types
Comps are easier to fit and remove tubing from though in my experience
Moto
April 4, 2012 3:24:26 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Compression fittings are often favoured for neatness but in actuality theres no difference, a few of us have a mix of both types
Comps are easier to fit and remove tubing from though in my experience
Moto

sounds good, thanks again for the tip :p 
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 3:25:07 AM

I believe comps also have less chance of a tube breaking, or anything leaking because they are full metal.
April 7, 2012 8:18:03 PM

can you buy these xspc x20 750 pumps separately and fit 1/4 barbs to them some how? im running the res combo now but have quite a big loop and dont have a great flow rate, couldnt find a pump equal or even really near to the x20 know its not a good idea to have one pump pushing the other. do you klnow how the average amount of blocks you can add on to these pumps before flow rate is badly affected.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 10:17:16 PM

I have the X20 750 pushing through a Rasa block, an RX240, two T-virus resses and about 7 feet of tubing with no issue, I think you'll be able to do two gfx cards on one, assuming you don't have too much restriction other than the blocks themselves,
as far as I know the pump isn't available separately, and the res/pump combo on its own is about sixty quid,
what radspace do you have for it all?
Moto
a c 88 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 12:39:54 AM

I went and did it. After suggesting people buy this kit as an entry into water many times, I figured I need water cooling for my amd build - I want to at least unlock that 4th core and can't on the stock cooler, so I bit the bullet and bought the RASA rs240 today. At least later I can say, "yeah I have one and it's..."
Whoohoo
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 6:47:56 AM

Noooooo, not the Rs :p 
if space is the issue get the Ex240, if not an issue RX is the Daddy :) 
not to worry though, we're still here to help you with any issues you have installing.

good luck with the unlocking man, you know not all X3's unlock successfully though,
sometimes its just a defective core end of, fingers crossed for you though :) 
Moto
a c 88 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 7:42:00 AM

I know the rs isn't the top of the line but it is what I have been recommending - don't wanna be hypocritical... it won't stay stock for long.
For installation, case mod coming up. All bays will come out of the case. HDD 2.5" to be fastened at top of case - res gets top bays which leaves the bottom for fans and rad in (what'll be left of) one of them old mini towers in my garage, attempt to set up there, see what issues arise then. Might have to chop a big hole in the top for the rad... we'll see. Space will be an issue but I have a mid-tower I can always fall back on.
And for the 455, if it can't be unlocked, I can always overclock it as a 3 core.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 8:18:51 AM

Nice to see some mod plans in there :) 
bear in mind you will need access to the top of the res for filling,
and if you can't unlock the 455 yes, they will clock respectably as triplecores (I found mine clocked better/higher as triple than quad)
Moto
April 10, 2012 2:56:14 PM

Just curious...which other pumps will fit into the XSPC Dual bay res? i have the stock 720 pump with the RS360 rad. I would like to eventually add a GPU to the loop and maybe even a SLI setup. Is this pump and single 360 rad efficient enough? Say maybe 2 gtx 680s and i7 920 @ 4.01ghz...Thinking about upgrading the pump.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 3:22:06 PM

they do several resse, including one fors for D5 pumps,
as far as I'm aware you can't remove the X20 750 from the res and replace it though, its a sealed unit
http://shop.xs-pc.com/d/Reservoirs_675.html
You'd do well with a D5 though
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 3:43:43 PM

There are XSPC DDC and D5 reservoirs, but they are not interchangeable between the different pumps. Ex: D5 pumps only fit in the D5 res, DDC pumps only fit in the DDC res.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 29, 2012 1:01:13 PM

Well I got my second X20 750l respump and two EX360's recently and I'm happy as,
pump silent again, (fill the res 100% for silence kids)
rads were well packaged no dents, scratches etc and they fit into my radbox just fine,
along with about another 9M of tubing :p 

Moto
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 10, 2012 7:36:59 AM

Wonder if RX240 can fit in my cm 690 ii advanced case (the top)
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 10, 2012 3:54:36 PM

I reckon it would, but you would have the two fans on top, then the rad, and I'm not sure you would have room for the bottom bank of fans, part of that would depend on your Mobo,
Northbridge coolers and ram often get in the way :) 
Moto
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 4:16:42 AM

I'm gonna start with the EX240 then add the RX240 on the bottom.
a c 224 K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 12:13:09 PM

:)  amuffin, Are you actually water cooling anything yet?

Please don't leave me out of the loop if you are, I don't want to miss the party! ;) 

If you're not actually water cooling yet, sooner or later you'll have to take the plunge and jump in the pool, and we gonnna partaaa, with your baptism into your water cooling addiction. :) 

And Moto is standing by to indoctrinate you into the case modding realm as that's usually a definite part of water cooling as his sig says, to make these water cooling components do what you want them to do for you.

And rubix is standing by to pull you up if you fall into the deep end of the pool!

Joking Aside; I'm impressed you took the time to do your Thermal Paste Removal/Installation Guide: I have the utmost respect for anyone taking their own time out, to make THGF a better more informative place! Kudos! amuffin

(Scuffs feet, scratches head, and walks off mumbling) I don't understand why I get hungry every time I say his name? :)  Ry

a c 190 K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 3:45:09 PM

Good call on the Ex for the top,
You will find yourself altering things after the initial build anyway so always keep an open mind to move that somewhere else and add even more radspace later,
the way I try to do things is I build it so that its permanent until I choose to alter it,
but then I can put it back to normal if needed,
its not always possible but if I can fit something without cutting/drilling I will, but I'm always open to the possibility that cutting is the only way to do a thing, and have no problem following that
:) 
As Ry said, I am available to help if needed mate, but you knew that already right?
Moto
a c 224 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 12:25:57 PM

I like the pump motor outside of the reservoir, now they're on the right track. :) 
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 12:30:58 PM

uhuh , ease of access to pump and i suppose more volume than the previous split bay pump/res design.
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 1:54:00 PM

I love how that looks..I wonder how well it performs? Not bad for $60 for the bayres alone, but still can't figure out why more manufacturers haven't included a front reservoir fillport like the one on this AlphaCool:

That's a slick idea for a bay res/pump combo.
a c 224 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 2:35:16 PM

The Top Fill can be very inconvenient!
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 4:44:26 PM

Not if you design your loop properly :) 
I'd also have issue with the frontfill because I'd have to tip my rig on its back to get the res 100% full (Which incidentally I already have to do to top off the T-Viruses:p )
but I concede for most non-mental folks, its a handy idea
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 5:10:18 PM

You just need a pressurized filling system, like a re-purposed space shuttle fueling system.

The rest of us just use water, gravity and rely on the laws of chemistry and physics that allow air molecules to remain lighter and less massive than water...and therefore float upward and out of our loop.

:D 
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 5:38:16 PM

** like a re-purposed space shuttle fueling system.**

Now whar do I am a gitt me one a those doohickies then?
/starts planning a decent cooling build based on one

And most 'Laws' of physics (and in fact reality) are merely guidelines we haven't surpassed yet :) 
Moto
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 6:03:25 PM

:lol:  modo's like an oyster on a full moonlit night - amazing to observe - when he's busy brooding...
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 6:05:44 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I love how that looks..I wonder how well it performs? Not bad for $60 for the bayres alone, but still can't figure out why more manufacturers haven't included a front reservoir fillport like the one on this AlphaCool:

http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/large/ex-res-355.jpg

That's a slick idea for a bay res/pump combo.

That's what the guys at SVC were telling me they were receiving. Apparently they are getting a model that has a pump that's better than the MCP655!!
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 6:44:19 PM

the MCP-655-B?
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 6:45:42 PM

Both the MCP 655 and B version! :o 
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 6:54:10 PM

MCP655 is actually better than the MCP655-B. The B version just doesn't have the speed control dial.

I'm wondering if what they are telling you is that they are selling a 'strong' version of the D5 that's an 18v or 24v variant.
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 7:02:19 PM

It runs at 1500rpm which is faster than the 655 speed.
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 7:10:36 PM

Is it a D5 or another pump?

Quote:
I'm wondering if what they are telling you is that they are selling a 'strong' version of the D5 that's an 18v or 24v variant.
!