Your question
Solved

Mb/cpu/ram and win7 install

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2009 6:57:37 PM

Hey, thanks for looking. I could use a little help with my upgrade. I searched forums and guides but nothing fit so a little direct q&a would be appreciated. i'm reusing the old case, HD, dvdrom and psu(650 corsair).

new items from microcenter, they mounted the cpu, ram and did a post test.

gigabyte p55 ud4p

i5 750

2x2 OCZ pc3 12800

gtx 260

windows 7

I don't want to appear completely dependent so here is my plan, any help is welcome.

-wipe hd (not sure how)

-install hardware

-cross fingers and boot. adjust memory settings in bios, then put in win7 cd.

thanks

More about : cpu ram win7 install

November 12, 2009 7:11:44 PM

Do you already have these items?
I'm not sure why I keep seeing these 1156 Socket MOBOs for i5/i7s
I thought 1366 was the new i7/Xeon Nehalem boards...

If not, then I would recommend to get a 1366 Socket mobo with an i7 920 rather than the i5 750 (1156 socket)

If you already have the parts and want to know what to do, you basically got it right...
wiping the HD would basically consist of either hooking it up to another computer and formatting, or let the Windows set-up do it for you (it should prompt you)...
m
l

Best solution

November 12, 2009 7:14:28 PM

You're headed the right direction.

Make sure you back up your important data first. When you install windows 7, do a custom install. Delete all partitions and create a new one. A system reserve of 100mb will also be created. Select the bigger partition to install windows 7. This does wipe your drive, but it only does a quick format. If the drive has errors, you won't find out until it starts writing to those bad sectors.

If the system boots with all hardware installed, don't adjust your memory timings yet. Install Windows 7, drivers, firmware, Bios update, etc first before tweaking memory, cpu, and gpu. There are some ram that need the timings set first. If you're ram is XMP, then you probably have to set the timings manually. I've come across few rem that actually runs at the their XMP settings without doing anything.

Leave all cable management until the end as well.
Related resources
November 12, 2009 8:34:36 PM

Thank you both. yes, i have all the hardware bought. Everything i want is backed up.

So if i understand correctly i dont have to wipe the drive first, the win7 cd gives me the option to delete and create new partitions? After i put the new mb/cpu in?
m
l
November 12, 2009 8:42:43 PM

MrAlba said:
Thank you both. yes, i have all the hardware bought. Everything i want is backed up.

So if i understand correctly i dont have to wipe the drive first, the win7 cd gives me the option to delete and create new partitions? After i put the new mb/cpu in?

Yes. Hook up all of your hardware. Insert the disk (it should load automatically when system boots, if not be sure to check your boot order), and when it begins to load windows, the wizard should walk you through everything.

I dont know if this is blasphemy, but I found this link pretty straight forward

Note that if your HD isn't already formatted, you should have the option to in the wizard.
m
l
November 12, 2009 8:43:16 PM

MrAlba said:

That is correct. Just remember to do a Custom Install. There will be an option to delete the hard disk and create new partitions. If you want to do a full format, you can choose the format option as well, otherwise it will do a quick format for you when you start installing.
m
l
November 13, 2009 5:09:09 AM

well once everything was together i started her up, put in win7 cd, set dvdrom to 1st boot, hard drive to 2nd

boot cd started loading files then bsod. am i supposed to install drivers from mobo before win7? other than

that would incorrect ram timings/wattage create this problem?

thanks
m
l
November 13, 2009 6:19:31 AM

Yes, incorrect RAM settings are a common cause of BSOD's. I would manually set the speed/timings/voltage in the BIOS.
m
l
November 13, 2009 6:45:27 AM

yea that helped. i got through what i'm pretty sure was the majority of the install, untill it had to restart. never came back right "windows failed to load" maybe i could boot from hd now if most of the install was done?
m
l
November 13, 2009 7:40:04 AM

ok after windows installed itself 3 times but couldnt finish after the automatic restart, booting from hard drive worked. i feel uncertain about the stability but i still have to load drivers for mb, gpu, and tweek bios
m
l
November 13, 2009 11:07:59 AM

I'm assuming you didn't catch the string for the STOP error?
Sometimes that helps narrow it down significantly...
I noticed that sometimes it's a RAID problem, and if you have any 3rd party drivers that would need to be installed "before" windows, you can press F6 (?) while windows loads off of the CD... I think they have to be loaded off of a Floppy though... I mostly do XP installs, and I've only istalled win7 on pre-built machines (Dell / HP) and it was pretty straight forward... Never had a problem with BSOD after first restart with Win7. Any bsod I got with installing XP was because I needed RAID drivers so windows see the HDDs.
m
l
November 14, 2009 12:21:40 AM

apparently i have a bad stick of ram. been running memtest for 1 hour with the one good stick in.
m
l
!