Removing reservoir?

grandpatzer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I'm building a watercooled Fractal case but my complete Haf 932 watercooled system I will install a fillport to it in top.

But I'm really considering removing the reservoir althogether, always when bleeding I'm worried it will fall because it gets loose when tilting the case, also removing one of the caps is spending alot of energy over time.

this is a old picture just to show why I don't like having the reservoir, it's difficult, bothersome and messy for me:

grandpatzer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
yes It has two but I'm only using one of them as I did not drill any hole in case for this just using a existing hole in case.

Still I find it annoying taking space that's why I'm considering removing it, obviously a T or Y piece might cause me other problems.

I would secure the res correctly if keeping it in the loop,
The only problems a T-line could cause is leaks from badly secured connectors,
I seriously think a re-routing/ cable tidying session is in order though, I'm having seizures at that picture :p
Moto

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
For whatever reason, this loop/build have been really strange from the reservoir issue in this thread to the EK 3-way SLI bridge issue in the other. Just a very odd build all-around. I think it's very close to a breakthrough but it might take a little work by the OP to get it straightened out.

grandpatzer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

hehe, I spent good amount of time and money on that bridge, it's ironic I could just have spent a fraction of time and just used compact fittings with short tubing and had a 100% working system.

Now I instead will put the Bridge on shelves for some time, I'm not even sure if I will ever test it again I already spent som much energy and time on that thing and it was supposed to make the loop look nicer and simpler(lol).

Besides slightly more difficult bleed process with not having reservoir is there anything else negative about not having reservoir in PC?

I will be installing a fillport in the Haf 932, it comes with precut hole so I just screw it in and install tubing, basicalyt the front radiator and fillport tubing would function as feeding water to pump instead of a reservoir?

Theres many a loop without reservoirs, as long as you bleed correctly you will be fine
I would posit that having a res is a good thing, more water takes longer to heat up after all, but with good enough rads and fans to dissipate the produced heat, they are in no way 'necessary' and can be left out without any issues arising from their absence
Moto

grandpatzer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
That's a good point, I think short time the reservoir helps but it long time the temperatures should be similar to not having the reservoir in there?

Either way I have a tiny 250ml reservoir, it's not alot of water.

Yes, the time the water takes to find its balance (the point at which it can't cool faster than heat is produced) takes longer, but it will eventually get there in the end, and yes a 250Ml res in my eyes is purely a simple air bubble collector, which make bleeding simpler
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

well I like reservoirs, and you have all ready bought the thing so, the issue seems to be more about the location and the difficulty associated with that location. to day I mount reservoirs on the side plate, you know, the one removed in the picture, allowing use to see the inside of your case. looks like the area between the front radiator and video cards is clear, with enough room to put the side plate back into place properly.

grandpatzer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
True, still I like to completely remove door and have it far away from case when working inside PC, it's for me not practical having the door close to PC when working inside it.