Solved

Build for $1231.98 - Sell for $1500 - YOU decide

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2009 8:41:11 PM

Here is my new system build thanks to the help of mortonww.
Updated 11-12-09

This build is for extreme gaming and being "technologically fit" (not becoming useless in two years when new technologies/DirectX are released) for at least 5 years.

This build will also hopefully be playing games at 1920*1200 resolution at a minimum 30FPS. Lower resolutions may of course need to be used until another graphics card is added in.

Case (full ATX, 5 fans already installed)
AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Motherboard (Triple SLI/CrossFireX compatible)
ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, HyperThreading, Bloomfield

RAM (triple channel DDR3) (1600 mhz)
OCZ Gold Tri Channel 6GB PC12800 DDR3 Memory - 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048)

Graphics card
XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Hard drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Bare Drive

CPU fan (i'm removing included stock fan because this seems better and I don't want to take a chance)
Masscool 8W503F1M4 CPU Fan - Socket LGA 1366, Core i7

CPU thermal compound
OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Thermal Extreme Conductivity Compound

VGA fan (also removing the stock fan)
ZALMAN VF700-CU 2 Ball VGA COOLER

Power supply
Kingwin Mach 1 Modular Power Supply - 700-Watt, ATX, SLI-Ready, Quad 12V Rails

CD burner/DVD burner/reader
Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer - DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM)

Keyboard & Mouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Desktop Keyboard And Mouse Combo - Optical, PS/2, Black

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Installed software
AVG anti-virus free version
Malewarebytes
Spybot S&D (tea timer/resident turned off)

Total for all 13 pieces (not counting free the free software) = $1231.98
Selling price = $1500
Profit after selling on eBay (usually take 5% = $75 of your sale) and i'm guessing $60 to ship UPS ground insured = $133.02

The ONLY things I can find somewhat weak in this system is the graphics card, power supply, optical drive, and the mouse/keyboard combo.

The graphics card can play Crysis I have heard at all high settings and shaders at enthusiast at 1920x1200 resolution maintaining 30FPS. This is a very powerful graphics card for the price and with the aftermarket cooler, it can be overclocked safely. It also has a lifetime warranty guaranteed by XFX so why would you not overclock?

When I or the buyer decide to add another graphics card, hard drive, optical drive etc., another power supply may need to be added for adequate power.

If a blu-ray drive is needed, the buyer can add it. They're not really worth it right now. Just go buy a PS3.

Mouse keyboard combo I chose just for selling reasons. I personally have a nice keyboard/mouse at home.

CPU is absolutely not weak at all. It can be overclocked EASILY to 3.5ghz according to gamers and system maxxers everywhere. I wouldn't do it myself personally though because I don't think I'll need that high of FPS/video rendering speeds.

More about : build 1231 sell 1500 decide

November 12, 2009 10:36:13 PM

That Azza case looks like a knockoff antec 900. Lots of fans so cooling should be good.

That Masscool cpu cooler looks like an OEM stock cooling fan. Got any reviews of it? I cant find any.

Kingwin power supply? I wouldnt touch it.

The graphics card is an old DX10 4000 series card, the DX11 5000 series is already out. That contradicts your initial paragraph about not becoming useless in 2 years.
m
l
November 12, 2009 11:27:45 PM

When I get the cooler I'll post back and see how good it does.

Kingwin, never heard of that PSU but it's the cheapest and has excellent reviews on TigerDirect.

As far as the graphics card, I know it's weak I have maxed out my budget and have gone over it some so the whole computer, not counting the graphics card will be future proof.

I should have specified that I never include graphics cards for future proof, those typically will be replaced every two years if mine even last that long.

Is there any graphics card or combination that can future proof a system for at least 3 years? I know HDMI is a must, which this card does not have.

I just ordered it four hours ago so I'm stuck with it for now. I'm pretty sure i'll be satisfied with the quality of it. I in no way would recommend it to someone with a higher budget though.
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2009 12:12:11 AM

*edit* linked PSU was changed after I posted this.

I looked at a couple professional reviews. Kingwins Mach series seems to be alot better than their prior PSUs. Though it still couldnt meet its 80+ certification in real world conditions at 125V (US power), it only made it at 240V (EU power). To have 100 0 Watts and only designed for 2 graphics cards makes it comparable to a Corsair 750HX or Antec TruePower 750 when you look at pricing next time.
m
l

Best solution

November 13, 2009 8:36:51 AM

You could get the i7 920 for a little over $200.
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?pro...
November 13, 2009 12:41:55 PM

That Kingwin PSU is garbage. See the little red voltage switch? Choose one with full range Active PFC and 80+ certification (or better). Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, and Enermax are all good. Antec Earthwatts are usually at the lower end of the price range.
Check www.frostytech.com for cooler reviews and some "top-10" (they say 5, but list 10) lists of coolers.
m
l
November 13, 2009 12:51:47 PM

Oh, and if you're building this to sell on eBay, don't bother. Your competition is mostly selling near-junk on which every conceivable corner has been cut to lower the price. A lot of buyers won't know that, but they will see the low price. The ones who do know better are more likely to realize they can build their own for less, and likely get better support. I would suggest reviewing your competitors' listings in depth before sinking money into this endeavor.
m
l
November 13, 2009 3:48:30 PM

The Kingwin Mach 1 1000 (what was originally listed) is 80+ bronze certified. Kingwin also has a 750W model that is 80+ certified, but that 700 model now linked is cheap junk.
m
l
November 13, 2009 3:59:29 PM

You could swap out the Kingwin for a higher quality PSU like this 80+ certified Corsair, which is $10 CHEAPER after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would replace the cooler with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's $14 more than the one you have listed, but with the $10 you just saved on the PSU, it should be fine. And also, it's highly recommended by the folks around here who use it. I use a V8, so I have no personal experience with it.

But yeah, I think it's a good build otherwise.
m
l
November 13, 2009 7:53:54 PM

I did not see any other link than the garbage PSU.
m
l
!