Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard power connection

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2009 9:33:13 PM

I just purchased an Asus M4A78-E motherboard and a Kingwin LZ-750 power supply. My question is, there are two connections for power on the motherboard. One is the 24+4 connection and another 4 pin connection named ATX12V. I don't see another connection on the power supply that could be used for the other 4 pin connection. Do I need the other 4 pin connected to the power supply?

The connections that I do have connected, the 24+4 are named EATXPWR(The 24 pin connection) and EATX12V(The 4 pin connection). I was thinking that the EATX12V might be the same as the one that it is in question, but I'm not sure.

Thanks
November 13, 2009 2:28:59 AM

James,
I have reviewed the manual for your motherboard and the 4 pin motherboard connector needs to have two yellow wires (12V) and two black wires (GRD) connected to it. Does the eight pin power supply connector have four yellow wires and four black wires in it? If so it can be plugged in to the 4 pin power connector on some motherboards. Do not try and force the 8 pin power supply connector in to the the 4 pin motherboard connector. If it will work it will plug in without any large amount of force being required. You will have four pins hanging out in mid air over the side of the motherboard connector. If the wires are not 4 yellow and 4 black do NOT try to plug the 8 pin power supply connector in to the motherboard. The voltages are wrong and you will damage the motherboard.
In this case you can get adapters that will allow you to use a PATA hard drive power connector or that wyes into two 4 pin female connectors from one 4 pin male connector. The male connector plugs into the 4 pin female connector from the power supply and one of the 4 pin female conectors from the wye plugs into the last 4 pins of the 24 pin motherboard connector and the other connector from the wye plugs in to the 4 pin connector on the motherboard.
I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Richard R. Johnson
mechanic_2@charter.net
November 13, 2009 5:54:34 AM

Thank you for the replies. I was looking at the cabling and the manual and figured out what I was doing wrong. I had just read the manual wrong. I thought those connections were for a video card. Problem solved and thank you for your replies.

J
!