IBM Thinkpad T21 does not power up

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2004 5:32:58 PM

I have a T21 that I purchased new several years ago. It now has a power up
problem. Most of the time, when the power button is pressed, the HD led
flashes and thats all that happens. Occasionally it will power up and
work fine until the next time it is powered on. How do I disassemble the
T-21? I took out 16 screws and it still wouldn't come apart.

More about : ibm thinkpad t21 power

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2004 5:32:59 PM

"digi2" <k7svv@arrl.net> wrote in message
> I have a T21 that I purchased new several years ago. It now has a power
up
> problem. Most of the time, when the power button is pressed, the HD led
> flashes and thats all that happens. Occasionally it will power up and
> work fine until the next time it is powered on. How do I disassemble the
> T-21? I took out 16 screws and it still wouldn't come apart.

If it just gives you a blank screen with no POST and no error messages, it
sounds like the problem that developed with my T22. Fortunately, it's still
under warranty because they're replacing the MB. As far as dissassembly, if
you have another computer with access to the internet, you should be able to
find the instructions for taking it apart on the IBM website. The document
is called "IBM Mobile Systems ThinkPad Computer Hardware Maintenance Manual"
and cover the T2x series of Thinkpad. Good luck!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2004 6:50:58 PM

digi2 <k7svv@arrl.net> wrote:
> I have a T21 that I purchased new several years ago. It now has a
> power up problem. Most of the time, when the power button is
> pressed, the HD led flashes and thats all that happens. Occasionally
> it will power up and work fine until the next time it is powered on.
> How do I disassemble the T-21? I took out 16 screws and it still
> wouldn't come apart.

Change the CMOS (RTC) battery!

Remove the primary battery and you'll see the RTC battery under a small
plastic holder.

--
Regards,

James