Internet diagnostics.

karlh

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Where can one find information about troubleshooting internet issues? I had a friend of a friend show me a piece of software that listed out what my ports were doing and I was able to see some piece of malware using my interent connection. I don't remember what that software was anymore. I've seen discussions about adjusting internet settings to improve speed, but again it's been so long that I don't remember anything about it. I do know that all these banners for software to improve your internet speed are generally bogus.

So what's a non-IT guy to do?

riser

Illustrious
http://www.wireshark.org/

The program is a bit complex for someone outside of IT to work with but tinkering with it you can find trends and know what's going on.

As far as adjusting speeds, that would be talking about adjusting the MTU. Standard is 1500 but on the top of the frame packet, info is added which makes the frames bigger and breaks them down. 1400-1450 for MTU size is good. You can do a simple Google search on adjusting the MTU and know the best setting for it. The MTU can be adjusted within the Windows settigs but most likely should be done on a Router if applicable.

If your internet speeds are slow... Generally its the Upload that people complain about, not really the download as much. You'll want to minimize any kind of software accessing the internet or checking for updates (Windows Update, Weatherbug, etc.). You'll want to start doing that manually though.