Sign in with
Your question

Upper Memory for EMS page

Last response: in Motherboards
May 16, 2010 7:46:16 PM

Hello,
What part(s) of the hardware can play a part in whether or not a page in Upper Memory is available for EMS use, Processor, Chipset, Gaphics card, bios or ??
We need to be sure the motherboards etc. that we buy will permit an EMS page. We like ASUS boards. Is there some spec that we can look for?

More about : upper memory ems page

a c 229 V Motherboard
a c 80 } Memory
May 16, 2010 8:16:39 PM

Why are you still using DOS?
m
l
May 16, 2010 8:40:25 PM

We're a company that must use several of 16-bit programs. Our concern is that the processor and chipset can defeat EMS. We have Asus P5B's which will not allow EMS (no page available) and the P5WD2-P, which allows the EMS page (same grahics card). And, we cannot now operate fullscreen under Win7. So, we now need to get new motherboards to accomodate Intel VT-x processor technology so that we can operate fullscreen under Win7.

Thanks for your quick response.

Jim
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 9:43:12 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Motherboards & Memory by Mousemonkey
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
a c 80 } Memory
May 17, 2010 2:01:18 AM

jimg said:
We're a company that must use several of 16-bit programs. Our concern is that the processor and chipset can defeat EMS. We have Asus P5B's which will not allow EMS (no page available) and the P5WD2-P, which allows the EMS page (same grahics card). And, we cannot now operate fullscreen under Win7. So, we now need to get new motherboards to accomodate Intel VT-x processor technology so that we can operate fullscreen under Win7.

Thanks for your quick response.

Jim

Are you running Windows 7 32-bit? Can you explain why you need EMS when running a 16-bit application?
m
l
May 17, 2010 1:14:08 PM

Yes, 32-bit. The programs require EMS. 2 of them are based on the old Supercalc and are very complex. SC requires EMS. As regards the Asus P5B and P5WD2-P, we have never been able to get an answer as why we can get EMS with latter and not the former. One of them seems make upper memory unavailable.

We have two needs, one is to have EMS and the other is to have full screen presentation. (We hope the get the latter with a new Intel processor having Intel VT-x technology. I'm not clear on whether we need to go to the Intel VT-t level, but I don't think so at this point. Any thoughts?)
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
a c 80 } Memory
May 17, 2010 8:07:17 PM

Having Intel VT-x technology shouldn't make any difference to the maximum screen resolution. I presume that you refer to the DOS resolution and not the Windows resolution.

Is Autoexec.nt identical on both systems? The chipsets are different, but that shouldn't make a difference.
m
l
May 17, 2010 8:30:39 PM

Good question, but they are identical. I did read where full screen dos operation was not possible without the VT-x tech. under win7, but I haven't studied it. Your thoughts please?

m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
a c 80 } Memory
May 18, 2010 1:46:20 AM

To be honest I don't understand how VT-x could help unless you virtualize an OS. I tried pressing Alt-Enter on a system that has VT-x support and it did nothing at all. All I could do is change the properties of the Command window and make it as large as possible, but it can't be full screen like you could under Windows XP.

Have you considered VMware Workstation or Player (not licensed for commercial use)? You could use VMware Player to determine if virtualizing DOS 6.22 is an acceptable solution. You could also try Windows Virtual PC and run your 16-bit applications under XP (I haven't tried it). VMware Player and Workstation never required VT. Microsoft no longer require it to run Windows XP Mode.
m
l
May 18, 2010 12:55:48 PM

I'm going to look into this further. "I'll be back"...

Jim
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
a c 80 } Memory
May 18, 2010 8:19:40 PM

Excel should be able to replace Supercalc. You might not be able to use Supercalc forever, unless you never upgrade the systems and/or OS.
m
l
!