Sign in with
Your question

First Post/Build: $999 Canadian$ newegg.ca - help pls

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2009 10:33:30 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this month

BUDGET RANGE: $999 After Rebates in Canadian Dollars using www.newegg.ca (not .com)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, pvr since I dont have tivo in Canada, watching HD movies, surfing the web, writing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor - Using 40 inch Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV

PARTS REQUIRED: Wireless Keyboard and Mouse since using PC in bed

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type: None, I am about value for the dollar.

OVERCLOCKING: I don't know how and don't want to break anything

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe? only if it's the best bang for buck and if someone can send me a link to show me how to do this.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Whatever a 1080p HD 40 inch television can do.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I need a PC for my bedroom which is too small for a desk, can work off of my TV, and be used primarily for games, tv and movie viewing. Thanks for your help in advance, especially if you are not used to using newegg.ca I am interested to see if there really is a big price difference between ".ca" and ".com"

This is my first post on a tech forum. I had to register here because everyone here seems so friendly and smart. If there is anywhere to get good advice on building a PC, Tom's seems like the best place. I really appreciate the help! Thanks.
November 12, 2009 10:51:25 PM

1. What games?

2. Exactly how much desk,etc space do you have? Seems like you are asking for a small case correct?

3. You wish to record TV to your PC, correct? Will it be HD recordings or just normal DVD type resolution?
m
l
November 13, 2009 4:14:13 PM

The Games that I want to play are Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, and Diablo 3 whenever it comes out.

Case size doesn't matter because it will be sitting beside my TV on a cool tile floor.

HD recordings since my TV is 1080p

Thanks!
m
l
November 14, 2009 12:54:23 AM

Basic set up for your needs:

Phenom II X4/X3

AM3 or AM2 motherboard (with AM3 CPU support) from ASUS or Gigabyte

4GB DDR2/DDR3 depending on board

ATI 5750/5770/5850/4870 or similar nVidia card like the GTX260

Antec 300/900, HAF 922,HAF 932

Samsung F3 (possibly 2x since you plan to have HD recordings)

Antec EA650, Corsair 650TX or other high quality PSU.

You will also need a TV tuner but I haven't looked at HD TV tuners recently if you plan to record TV.

That should allow you to narrow down the products for your price range. Get back to us with a shopping list using the guide lines above.
m
l
!