melcor

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hi all,

I have been playing wow for quite a long time, and have since upgraded to multiple different desktops. Anyways, I seem to be getting 7-12 fps during 25m raids, but in other areas of the world, where not much action is going on, i am getting 60-150 fps. My specs on my desktop are;

22 inch lcd monitor
vista 64bit
4gb ram
quad core Q6600 intel 2.4 ghz processor that has been overclocked to 2.8
geforce 260 graphics card

I recently upgraded my graphics card to the 260 and noticed a slight improvement, but i still seem to get anywhere from 7-12 fps on most boss encounters in 25m raids. I am basically just wondering if this seems like a normal fps for these specs, and/or if there is anything I change (minor, not a new cpu) to help increase the fps in game. Also, just want to mention I have all the graphics on the lowest settings possible, and on my nvidea settings, I have it set to full performance over quality. Any other tips/suggestions that someone may know of?

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

As megamanx00 says, it might very well be network related, though I do believe that Killer Nic have been proven several times to be a waste of money.

When you play, do you use a wireless connection?

melcor

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I am hardwired to my modem currently. After running an internet speed test, my connection is displaying a 9.4mb download, 3.9mb upload and a 20ms ping, so I can't imagine it is internet related. It is comcast as well, not sure if that would make a difference or not. Also, I do not really play any other games, so I'm not sure if it would be bad in other games. Thanks for your input so far.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Hmm it's been years since I've played WoW, the only things I can think would be the cause of this, off the top of my head, would be network related lag, I seem to remember that you can see your latency in-game, for some changing the the way windows handles network packets have had a big improvement on their gameplay

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

this of course only if your issue is related to network latency.

Other thing would be if you have some add-ons that cause a slowdown, but you would get more qualified responses on a WoW forum I would assume.

What happens to FPS if you OC your Q6600 a little further, say to 3.2GHz?
You say your GPU was a recent upgrade; did you thoroughly clean out all your old GPU drivers before you installed it?
Any unnecessary background tasks running, especially using your internet connection (e.g. torrents, browser)?

In my personal option, i think it's WoW network, severs, or just bad programing as there are plenty of people with this problem that have far more powerful systems.

As im reading in WoW forums like this thread, http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=16473762099&sid=1&pageNo=2

Something tells me there some bad programing going on.

surda

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
your hardware is above the recommended settings for this game, i use dual core with 2 g ram, and get 60fps and up all the time.

it could be either one of these, drivers or netwrok lag.

popatim

Titan
I just found this *gem* might be worth trying.
Contained in your config.wtf file, a variable named SET processAffinityMask "3", this is the default setting. What is this setting declaring? This setting is telling WoW to use Core 2 and Core 1, and nothing else: 3 = 2 + 1

What if I had a 4 core processor and want to use all 4 cores? You use SET processAffinityMask "15"