Computer to TV with sound

skimpy016

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Hello I have a P6T SE ASUS motherboard with a GTX 260 EVGA graphics card. Im trying to connect to my LCD LG HDTV which i can get the display with a DVI to HDMI converter, but I can not get sound to work. I also have a 3.5mm to audio componet connectors (red, white connectors). Is there a way to get the audio from one input go to another with my HDMI on the TV? Sorry I don't know my TV model number but it is 47" if that helps. Or is there a way to get sound through DVI to the HDMI cable converter.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The standard DVI output connector on a video card does NOT contain audio signals. A standard HDMI output connector does. So on many systems with DVI output connectors only, you can use an adapter to convert it to an HDMI connector (the digital video signals are actually identical) BUT there still is no audio on that HDMI adapater output because the DVI system never had it.

I understand many video cards basd on ATI chipsets actually added the audio signals to a DVI output (some require an internal connection cable to get the audio signals over to the video card for this), and you can buy their special adapter that WILL feed these audio signals out the HDMI connector. But I don not believe other video makers have done this.

So, you will have to arrange to feed audio separately from the computer's audio out ports to the TV on a stereo sound cable. I have not seen any adapter that will allow you to add an audio signal to an HDMI cable that has video only on its lines.

meodowla

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Oops... Both DVI and HDMI could handle Sound + Video through it... For proof try a ATi HD series card... nVidia cards don't support audio through DVI/HDMI... you have to seperately buy a SPDIF cable to connect to the cards SPDIF(may be placed at the side of the card) connector for Audio..

spdif2.jpg

DSC01243.jpg

meodowla

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Why???

Check this pic.. It shows SPDIF port in EVGA card... (See the flap with speaker symbol)
side.jpg

Get a SPDIF cable..

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
To support meodowla, the Nvidia website product spec page to the GTX 260 here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_260_us.html

says their reference design includes an SPDIF input port to feed audio from a sound system in the computer into the card for forwarding through the DVI port via adapter to an HDMI cable. Whether or not that feature was actually included in the card you bought from your vid card manufacturer is up to them, but as meodowla says, look for the port on the card, and look in its documentation.