Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading for OC-ing. please help the newbie..

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 3, 2012 8:27:25 AM

hi..

hope this is in the correct subsection

im planning to upgrade my current rig to better keep up with the upcoming games.. i.e. Diablo3 ehehe... im planning to Overclock for the first time and would like to have to proper hardware to do so....i would love to hear your opinions/advices...

im planing to spend around USD300-400 for the upgrade this time around... below are the specs of my current rig and what i hope to achieve after upgrading....

CPU : currently i750 stock but planning to OC to 3.5 or 3.8 Ghz
CPU fan : currently stock but planning to get CM hyper 212 evo
MOBO : currently Asus P7 P55 LX no change
GPU : currently MSI 6850 1Gb twin frozr2/OC planning to Xfire wid same card
RAM : 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 kingston upgrade to 2 X 4GB g.skill ripjawX DDR3 1600
PSU :currently CM GX 550W w/ 44A on 12V rail upgrade to corsair TX 650/750/850

there are a few thiings i need your advise on guys...

first i know i deninately need to change my PSU... the question is will 650 be enough or am i cutting it alittle thin... i think this will be my final upgrade to this system so no need to consider any future proofing... should i go for the 750 or even the 850??? or is it possible to keep the old PSU?

2nd question, do you think upgrading the RAM is worth the money? will it make any signiifcant difference after OC... im currently running win7 pro... with my MOBO its suppose to detect 6GB of RAM rite??? but it only detects 4GB... dont know whats going there...

3rd question... will the system be good enough to play games on HIGH (forget ultra) settings for the next say 2-3 yrs...

Thx in advance guys....

More about : upgrading ing newbie

April 3, 2012 8:45:04 AM

1. I would go wit a 750w PSU to play it safe, 650w should be able to get away with 2x 6850's

2. RAM won't improve your in game performance, generally only loading speeds.
Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit windows 7? 32 bit systems only support a maximum of 4GB of memory.

3. It's hard to give an accurate answer, I can say that you will be able to play games in the next 2-3 years but at a high setting? it's unlikely.
April 3, 2012 9:23:15 AM

i am running 64bits... the shop told me because im running 64 bits.. my RAM should be showing 6GB instead of physically 4GB.... something along that line.... im not to sure what he said hahaha... this is almost 2 yrs old

about the RAM issue.... maybe i should get another 2X 2GB and just add it in there.... cheaper that way and i still get 8Gb?? is my line of reasoning right?
Related resources
April 3, 2012 10:28:33 AM

yragzzz, right click on "My Computer" on your desktop and then click on properties. If you don't have that icon, go to Start and right click on "Computer">Properties.

Under the "System" heading, what does it say for "System Type:"?
April 3, 2012 12:23:58 PM

Ironwilly said:
yragzzz, right click on "My Computer" on your desktop and then click on properties. If you don't have that icon, go to Start and right click on "Computer">Properties.

Under the "System" heading, what does it say for "System Type:"?

64-bit operating system... thats what it says... oh ya...im actually running win 7 ultimate...
April 3, 2012 9:09:02 PM

yragzzz said:
64-bit operating system... thats what it says... oh ya...im actually running win 7 ultimate...

Just wanted to make sure. It says here that you only have 4GB of RAM installed, so I'm not sure where the 6GB number came from.

"RAM : 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 kingston upgrade to 2 X 4GB g.skill ripjawX DDR3 1600 "

It only counts your system RAM in the BIOS, it's not going to add your VRAM to that. So it's reporting as it should. You're using a 64-bit OS, so you're getting full use of all your memory, that's good as well.
April 3, 2012 10:13:53 PM

In regards to your other upgrades, I found this article talking about an SLI setup with the HD 6850:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-cross...

"Radeon HD 6850 x2

A second card requires you to add another ~130 Watts. You need a 650 Watt power supply unit."

"With that in mind. Our normal system power consumption is higher than your average system.

Graphics card IDLE WATT FULL WATT
Radeon HD 6850 1024MB 176 278
Radeon HD 6870 1024MB 173 295
Radeon HD 6850 CrossfireX 186 393
Radeon HD 6870 CrossfireX 184 421"

It definitely looks like a 650w-700w PSU would work just fine. This does depend on what other add-on cards and peripherals you have connected. If you need a more specific number, use this: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Definitely upgrade your CPU heatsink/fan to make sure you get better stability and long-term usage out of your CPU after you overclock it. I think that upgrading to DDR3 1600 and 8GB of RAM is a good upgrade as well. Though I don't know that you'll see a major change in performance from that particular upgrade.
April 4, 2012 3:57:43 PM

thx ironwilly... i think i will skip the RAM upgrade for now.. try to sell my old PSU first... to be on hte safe side i shall get the 700/750W PSU and add some xtra fans to my cheap ass case
April 4, 2012 7:47:48 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to run your 1333 RAM at 1600, if you were up for giving it a shot. You'd most likely need to make a few small adjustments to the timings and, possibly, to the voltage, but it's not uncommon to see this overclock.
April 5, 2012 1:33:43 AM

Ironwilly said:
I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to run your 1333 RAM at 1600, if you were up for giving it a shot. You'd most likely need to make a few small adjustments to the timings and, possibly, to the voltage, but it's not uncommon to see this overclock.

would you recomend that... with my entry entry level MOBO and generic budget kingston RAM.... hahaha... i fear the voltage will not be stable and such....

thx for helpin dude
!