awakeningsinc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I do not deal with a lot of video and intense graphics other than what I experience online. Could a user such as myself notice a big difference between an intel i9 or an i7, or i5, etc?

Solution
I have an i7 920 and its more than adequate for my needs - surfing, gaming, photo editing and dvd sort of stuff.

the high end i5's are as quick in some cases as the low end i7's so to the casual obersever you wont notice huge jumps in performance.

ulysses35

Distinguished
I have an i7 920 and its more than adequate for my needs - surfing, gaming, photo editing and dvd sort of stuff.

the high end i5's are as quick in some cases as the low end i7's so to the casual obersever you wont notice huge jumps in performance.

Solution

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
The I9 is not out yet but most people do not require anything more then an I5

I would even say that most people do not need anything more then an Athlon II 630 and that cpu costs about 110$

For a more accurate anwser you will have to be more specific about your computer use..

"I do not deal with a lot of video and intense graphics other than what I experience online."

Video and intense graphics are mostly for gaming and processed by the videocard so the CPU is not really stressed too much.

What do you meen by what I experience online ?

Cryslayer80

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
If you don't do a lot of video encoding and *** then a Quad IMO is a waste. Look at the I3 530. Biggest bang for your buck on the market today next to the X3440
ike-facepalm.jpg

Back to duals... I think that was popular around 3 years ago when we had Phenoms and Q6xxx...

awakeningsinc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

I experience graphics and video online. I have the thought that I may not being using DVDs or programs with 3D graphics, but you need a computer that can handle what is up to date when browsing and visiting sites on the internet.

G

Yes, the online HD playback is very heavy and requires very fast PC, but every _new_ pc will handle it.
Latest graphics cards support ofload of HD video decoding (as well DVD's and Blue Ray), however this is not working stable yet and it's not official - adobe needs to release their flash player 10.1.
Anyway, the CPUs can handle it as well pretty much fast. Graphics cards are like 3-5 times faster in doing it and they leave lot's of cpu cycles for use, but this is not working yet (it's crashing on my nvidia 240M).