Agent OnG

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Okay.....I'm easily a NOOB at computer issues, so here is the scenario.

I found a computer at a yard sale. Dell Studio One 19 Desktop. Got it for a heck of a price because owner said it wouldn't even turn on.

So I plugged it in, and it came on. Ran system repair.

It began to boot up, but it would go to a black screen with the mouse on it. After about 2 minutes it would reboot. It is running on Vista. They original owner did not have any of the discs that came with the PC so I could do a system recovery.

To fix this I put in a Windows 7 Upgrade disc and had it boot/install this. Now when it did it caused my problem.

Currently the Disk is 500 GB split into 3 partitions:
Partition 1: OEM - 39 MB
Partition 2: Primary - 14 GB
Partition 3: Primary - 451 GB

Now apparently both Vista & 7 are installed on Partition 2 and 7 is partially installed on Partition 3. Not a big deal, except that with both OS on Partition 2 it only has about 800 MB of free space. Now Partition 2 is my C: and Partition 3 is D:. The problem I'm coming into is whenever I install software or hardware it wants to install on C: (I have been able to command some of it the software to install on D:), which is now of course full.

So my question is now that I'm running this PC on Windows 7, what are my options?

Is there any way I could shrink partition 3 and move that free/unassigned space to partition 2?

Please help all of you people here that are smarter than me. Thanks.

Agent OnG

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
how?

I don't have the original disks....so won't I lose all my drivers? Also, since my version of Windows 7 is just an upgrade will that allow me to do that? Do I just reinstall Windows 7?

What do you mean by "drivers"? Windows has built-in drivers to handle all the standard devices, so unless you've got something special in the system it shouldn't be a problem. And for most add-on devices you can download drivers from the manufacturer's web site. The things to watch out for are:

- very old devices that don't have Windows 7 drivers
- software that only allows a limited number of installations. For example, the Adobe product suites should be "unregistered" before you wipe a system so that you don't "use up" your install count for them.

The Windows 7 upgrade will work fine if there's a previous OS on the system when it boots from the install disk, even if you then delete it and create new partitions. And in fact there's even a workaround you can use to install onto a virgin disk, see: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media