Not detecting wired or wireless network adapter

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Internet Connectivity
  • Wireless Network
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
May 13, 2012 11:50:07 PM

Hello, I know you've seen this before.. while try to hose that d*mn IS 2012 virus I managed to hose my internet connectivity. The device manager sees my 3COM Gigabit LAN but the rest of Windows does not

I have a Asus p4c800 deluxe, p4 2.6, 3GB PC3200

More about : detecting wired wireless network adapter

May 14, 2012 2:16:11 AM

I faced this same problem a few days ago... I have both the Ethernet/LAN card and USB cable modem connections enabled as two Network Connections; a few days back I removed the Ethernet cable and a few days later when I connected it back on, the Ethernet connection had disappeared and I had the same exact problem reinstalling the Ethernet card till I solved it as follows:

Tried reinstalling the Ethernet card driver which didn't work, so I moved the Ethernet card to another PCI slot... and it still was not recognized so I next disabled the BIOS setting that says Plug & Play Operative System (should say Disabled or No)... thinking the BIOS would recognize the card and the OS should follow suit.. and that did it!
m
l
May 14, 2012 2:32:46 AM

The 3com is onboard.. tried a pci NetGear.. got the same.. recognized and working properly in device mgr... I think its a reg or ipconfig prob with win xppro. the ami bios sees the cards as well.
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 6:04:48 AM

With an onboard LAN chip you can try uninstalling it from the Device Manager >Network adapter (right click\Uninstall), reboot the computer> access the BIOS and change the setting to No Plug and Play OS... if it doesn't work, reinstall the driver, and if it still doesn't work, reset the MAC or Physical Address in Device Manager> Network Adapter> right click - Properties> Advanced Options> select Locally administered address> on the right it should read "Absent" select the "Value" and type in A1B2C3D4E5F6 (any 12 digit combination of letter followed by number works) to reset the connection and hopefully acquire Internet access.

If it doesn't work, the Wireless card may be interfering so remove it from the computer and try the previous instructions again... and install the Wireless adapter only after the onboard network adapter connects to the Internet...
m
l
May 14, 2012 11:12:57 AM

Download the P4C800E-Deluxe PDF Manual.. and check the following BIOS settings to configure the BIOS according to them if necessary:

Page 4.20 > 4.4.4 = BIOS > Advanced > Onboard LAN [Enabled]
Page 4.22 > 4.4.5 = BIOS > Advanced > Plug and Play OS [No]

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4C800E-DX/...
m
l
May 14, 2012 4:20:06 PM

I'm not using a wireless adapter... the netgear is a pci card... device manager would see it too but the rest of windows does not. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it (the onboard 3com)..
xpnetdiag gives me warning "the server name or address could not be resolved"

run cmd ipconfig doesn't show any status data.. /release and /renew don't seem to have any effect

there may still be a trace of the av security 2012 virus running a process
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:58:35 AM

Pandasoundguy said:
I'm not using a wireless adapter... the netgear is a pci card... device manager would see it too but the rest of windows does not. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it (the onboard 3com)..
xpnetdiag gives me warning "the server name or address could not be resolved"

run cmd ipconfig doesn't show any status data.. /release and /renew don't seem to have any effect

there may still be a trace of the av security 2012 virus running a process

Check this solution for the unresolved server name or address:
Error: "12007: The server name or address could not be resolved" and error: "Internet Explorer cannot display webpage" while running diagnose connection problem.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows...

How to completely remove the Security 2012 virus
http://www.spywarehelpcenter.com/how-to-remove-av-secur...

m
l
!