GA-EP45-UD3P SATA controller

Am I correct in the assumption that the two purple SATA ports are controlled by the JMicron controller, and that hot-swapping is enabled by default? A friend with the same mobo claims this is so. Newbie mind wants to know for certain!
8 answers Last reply
More about ep45 ud3p sata controller
  1. Indeed, the 'purple ports' are off a jMicron (likely a JMB36X) controller; by default, it is set to "IDE mode" (the "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" item on the "Integrated Peripherals" BIOS page - pp 55 of the manual); to enable 'hot-plug' capability, you must set it to "AHCI" mode (which requires "<F6> 'pre-load'" drivers for Vista or Xp - seven has 'native' AHCI...)
  2. The JMicron controls the purple ports. As indicated in your manual, you need to set Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to AHCI for hot-swapping (the default is IDE).
  3. bilbat said:
    Indeed, the 'purple ports' are off a jMicron (likely a JMB36X) controller; by default, it is set to "IDE mode" (the "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" item on the "Integrated Peripherals" BIOS page - pp 55 of the manual); to enable 'hot-plug' capability, you must set it to "AHCI" mode (which requires "<F6> 'pre-load'" drivers for Vista or Xp - seven has 'native' AHCI...)

Aaaah - thank you! To clarify my inquiry, my friend didn't change anything in the BIOS before installing the OS and says he 'hotswaps' all the time via an eSATA I/O plate connected to the purple risers. But... I've read elsewhere that ACHI cannot be invoked *after* the OS is installed. We're both running XP Pro.
    Joe Arnold
  4. Quote:
    But... I've read elsewhere that ACHI cannot be invoked *after* the OS is installed. We're both running XP Pro.
    Unless you're booting from a hard disk connected to a purple SATA connector, you can switch from IDE to SATA. Regardless, you should install the drivers.
  5. GhilainG

Do you think that's something worth adding to the sticky? My policy, too, when building systems, no matter how 'lowly' the original setup, is to always load the (<F6> 'pre-load') southbridge RAID drivers, and the jMicron AHCIs, when installing any windoze. I think people don't realize that having the drivers in does not require you to use them immediately; but it does leave your 'options open' for future improvements without a messy, 'post-OS' install...

PanHandler

Try a peek here: how-enable-ahci-raid-mode-without-reinstalling-windows-p35-ich9-ich9r
  6. bilbat said:
    Indeed, the 'purple ports' are off a jMicron (likely a JMB36X) controller; by default, it is set to "IDE mode" (the "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" item on the "Integrated Peripherals" BIOS page - pp 55 of the manual); to enable 'hot-plug' capability, you must set it to "AHCI" mode (which requires "<F6> 'pre-load'" drivers for Vista or Xp - seven has 'native' AHCI...)

Duh - it's me again; 70 YO and doing my best to get a handle on this. I've had problems before, trying to hot-swap a SATA drive, causing loss of data, and don't want to do it again. I looked into Device Manager and found that the driver is installed for the Southbridge JMicron controller. Does this mean I'm good to go for hot-swapping, since the eSATA dock on my COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced case is connected to the JMicron controller (Gigabyte GBB36X) via an add-on I/O plate?

BTW - I did not make any changes in the BIOS concerning ACHI or RAID. They are at their default values.

Here's a screen grab:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joearnold/4615386719/sizes/o/

Many thanks for your patience with this old man ;-)
    Joe Arnold
  7. I are a old fart, too [:bilbat:6] [:jaydeejohn:4] (...help, I've fallen, and I can't reach my beer!)

AHCI must be enabled - the AHCI BIOS (which will 'grab' your drive - it will no longer be 'discovered' in the normal POST sequence) and driver 'contain' the 'hot-swap mechanism... Second thing is, when it's working, you will see this:

when you double-click the little 'plug/unplug' 'thingie' at the right of your tastkbar. You always need to 'eject' the drive before unplugging it. The reason for this: windoze sets aside a 'chunk' of memory for a disk cache for each disk attached; when you call for anything to be written, it is first 'dumped to cache' (memory), in the interest of speed - then windoze 'writes it out' to the drive 'at its leisure'; the 'eject' function is to make sure that this cache gets 'flushed' to the physical disk, and any open file handles closed, before you disconnect the wires!
  8. bilbat said:
    GhilainG

Do you think that's something worth adding to the sticky? My policy, too, when building systems, no matter how 'lowly' the original setup, is to always load the (<F6> 'pre-load') southbridge RAID drivers, and the jMicron AHCIs, when installing any windoze. I think people don't realize that having the drivers in does not require you to use them immediately; but it does leave your 'options open' for future improvements without a messy, 'post-OS' install...

PanHandler

Try a peek here: how-enable-ahci-raid-mode-without-reinstalling-windows-p35-ich9-ich9r

Adding that info certainly won't hurt.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte SATA Controller Motherboards