GA-EP45-UD3P SATA controller

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • SATA
  • Controller
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 17, 2010 12:52:07 AM

Am I correct in the assumption that the two purple SATA ports are controlled by the JMicron controller, and that hot-swapping is enabled by default? A friend with the same mobo claims this is so. Newbie mind wants to know for certain!

More about : ep45 ud3p sata controller

a c 177 V Motherboard
May 17, 2010 2:15:20 AM

Indeed, the 'purple ports' are off a jMicron (likely a JMB36X) controller; by default, it is set to "IDE mode" (the "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" item on the "Integrated Peripherals" BIOS page - pp 55 of the manual); to enable 'hot-plug' capability, you must set it to "AHCI" mode (which requires "<F6> 'pre-load'" drivers for Vista or Xp - seven has 'native' AHCI...)
m
l
a c 242 V Motherboard
May 17, 2010 2:16:06 AM

The JMicron controls the purple ports. As indicated in your manual, you need to set Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to AHCI for hot-swapping (the default is IDE).
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2010 2:27:27 AM

bilbat said:
Indeed, the 'purple ports' are off a jMicron (likely a JMB36X) controller; by default, it is set to "IDE mode" (the "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" item on the "Integrated Peripherals" BIOS page - pp 55 of the manual); to enable 'hot-plug' capability, you must set it to "AHCI" mode (which requires "<F6> 'pre-load'" drivers for Vista or Xp - seven has 'native' AHCI...)

Aaaah - thank you! To clarify my inquiry, my friend didn't change anything in the BIOS before installing the OS and says he 'hotswaps' all the time via an eSATA I/O plate connected to the purple risers. But... I've read elsewhere that ACHI cannot be invoked *after* the OS is installed. We're both running XP Pro.
Joe Arnold
m
l
a c 242 V Motherboard
May 17, 2010 11:30:20 AM

Quote:
But... I've read elsewhere that ACHI cannot be invoked *after* the OS is installed. We're both running XP Pro.
Unless you're booting from a hard disk connected to a purple SATA connector, you can switch from IDE to SATA. Regardless, you should install the drivers.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 17, 2010 3:05:48 PM

GhilainG

Do you think that's something worth adding to the sticky? My policy, too, when building systems, no matter how 'lowly' the original setup, is to always load the (<F6> 'pre-load') southbridge RAID drivers, and the jMicron AHCIs, when installing any windoze. I think people don't realize that having the drivers in does not require you to use them immediately; but it does leave your 'options open' for future improvements without a messy, 'post-OS' install...

PanHandler

Try a peek here: how-enable-ahci-raid-mode-without-reinstalling-windows-p35-ich9-ich9r
m
l
May 17, 2010 4:51:43 PM

bilbat said:

Duh - it's me again; 70 YO and doing my best to get a handle on this. I've had problems before, trying to hot-swap a SATA drive, causing loss of data, and don't want to do it again. I looked into Device Manager and found that the driver is installed for the Southbridge JMicron controller. Does this mean I'm good to go for hot-swapping, since the eSATA dock on my COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced case is connected to the JMicron controller (Gigabyte GBB36X) via an add-on I/O plate?

BTW - I did not make any changes in the BIOS concerning ACHI or RAID. They are at their default values.

Here's a screen grab:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joearnold/4615386719/sizes...

Many thanks for your patience with this old man ;-)
Joe Arnold
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 17, 2010 5:24:20 PM

I are a old fart, too [:bilbat:6] [:jaydeejohn:4] (...help, I've fallen, and I can't reach my beer!)

AHCI must be enabled - the AHCI BIOS (which will 'grab' your drive - it will no longer be 'discovered' in the normal POST sequence) and driver 'contain' the 'hot-swap mechanism... Second thing is, when it's working, you will see this:

when you double-click the little 'plug/unplug' 'thingie' at the right of your tastkbar. You always need to 'eject' the drive before unplugging it. The reason for this: windoze sets aside a 'chunk' of memory for a disk cache for each disk attached; when you call for anything to be written, it is first 'dumped to cache' (memory), in the interest of speed - then windoze 'writes it out' to the drive 'at its leisure'; the 'eject' function is to make sure that this cache gets 'flushed' to the physical disk, and any open file handles closed, before you disconnect the wires!
m
l
a c 242 V Motherboard
May 17, 2010 7:21:27 PM

bilbat said:
GhilainG

Do you think that's something worth adding to the sticky? My policy, too, when building systems, no matter how 'lowly' the original setup, is to always load the (<F6> 'pre-load') southbridge RAID drivers, and the jMicron AHCIs, when installing any windoze. I think people don't realize that having the drivers in does not require you to use them immediately; but it does leave your 'options open' for future improvements without a messy, 'post-OS' install...

PanHandler

Try a peek here: how-enable-ahci-raid-mode-without-reinstalling-windows-p35-ich9-ich9r

Adding that info certainly won't hurt.
m
l
!