Graphics card motherboard compatibility issues

jonloe

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
heres the deal. im on a tight budget. so for christmas, im trying to get my parents to get me a new graphics card. i love COD4, and am hoping to love COD:mw2, as soon as i can get my hands on it. my only problem is that my current rig can only handle it on close to the lowest settings.
what i have now,

Pentium D 3.2ghz
2Gb corsair ram
Rio 3 motherboard
Asus X550 512mb graphics card
250 GB seagate HDD
all wrapped up in windows XP

what im hoping to get from my parents is this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.292676
its a XFX HD 4670 and a corsair 400 watt power supply ( i have a puny 250 watt ATM)

after getting all my hopes up for this, i discover that my MOBO is a PCI-e 1.0a, and the Graphics card i want to get is a 2.0. after putting many an hour into trying to figure out if it was compatible or not, i came to the conclusion that everyone online likes to confuse me. half of the things i read said that 2.0 is only backwards compatible with 1.1, while the other half say its fully backwards compatible with 1.0a.

so my question to you would be:
A. is the graphics card in question backwards compatible with a 1.0a PCI-e slot
B. if so, will the HD 4670 handle COD4 and COD:mw2 and make them look sexy? ( yes i know their the same engine)
C. if not, what are some good PCI-e 1.0a cards that could handle these two games?

thanks for all of your help and advice before hand,
Jon Loe

A. Yes, 2.0 is compatible with 1.1/1.0
B. a 4670 will run COD4 at 1680x1050 at high detail with no AA or AF
C. What is your budget. I'd say a 5750 or 5770 would be a good choice. What resolution are you gaming at?

jonloe

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
thanks for the reply!

im not one to be picky about resolution. if its above 1024x768 ill be happy :D
budget would be my biggest weakness. i am the definition of super broke. i was looking at a 4770, but that was before i found out that i need a new power source too. thats the main reason im looking at the 4670, because i found a deal that will give me that and a corsair 400 watt for 89 bucks. that would be about the top of my limit. i doubt i can get anything over 100.

And im sorry, i dont mean to second guess you, but are you sure about the 2.0 being compatible with 1.0a? i also shot off an email to the makers of my MOBO, and the email i got back said,

Hello, Thank you for contacting Packard Bell.

Regarding your enquiry,

The PCIe slot is 1.0a compliant. It will not accept a PCIe 2.0

Regards

Steve
Packard Bell UK Customer Services Team

this is agian confusing me. i would just say screw it, ill order it, and if it doesnt work ship that puppy back, but i live overseas, so whatever i order im going to have my brother bring back when he comes to visit for the holidays. thanks again for the advice.