Sign in with
Your question

Maximize benefit of a quad core processor

Last response: in CPUs
January 28, 2010 7:18:39 PM

Hey guys,

Just upgraded from an AMD64 3200+ to an I5 750. Ended up upgrading the whole system, running 4GB DDR3 and a Geforce GT240 with 512 MB DDR5

Anyway, it's my first multi-core processor. I understand the concept of breaking a larger job into smaller jobs when coded appropriately and letting the multiple cores each take on a section.

My question is, is there anything that I can do from a settings/program perspective to maximize the benefits of the quad-core. Or, am I basically going about my business the same way and letting the PC decide when to use them and when not to.

Thanks
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2010 7:25:10 PM

The OS and the programs you run will be the determining factor on what gets broken up and what doesn't. Unless you are coding your own programs, you don't need to worry about it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2010 7:28:19 PM

Joaker said:
Hey guys,

Just upgraded from an AMD64 3200+ to an I5 750. Ended up upgrading the whole system, running 4GB DDR3 and a Geforce GT240 with 512 MB DDR5

Anyway, it's my first multi-core processor. I understand the concept of breaking a larger job into smaller jobs when coded appropriately and letting the multiple cores each take on a section.

My question is, is there anything that I can do from a settings/program perspective to maximize the benefits of the quad-core. Or, am I basically going about my business the same way and letting the PC decide when to use them and when not to.

Thanks

Windows 7 has been desgined with quad core and above in mind..

I would tend to go for Windows 7 to maximise your potential
m
l
January 28, 2010 7:55:07 PM

Went with Win7 64 bit. Bully for me :-)
m
l
Related resources
!