Sign in with
Your question

I bought a computer for $299 from Wal-Mart.

Last response: in CPUs
January 28, 2010 7:52:00 PM

I bought a computer for $299 from Wal-Mart. To find out that it has celeron processor in it. So I take my old laptop and put my 2 core duo in it. Now it is very fast and exciting to use. how long will i be happy for till it breaks
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2010 8:05:06 PM

joshdt96 said:
I bought a computer for $299 from Wal-Mart. To find out that it has celeron processor in it. So I take my old laptop and put my 2 core duo in it. Now it is very fast and exciting to use. how long will i be happy for till it breaks

I dont think anyone can answer that. ;) 

Each laptop varies lifespan from laptop to laptop but most laptops last a very long time. i still got laptops from 5 years ago and other people have laptop that are much older that are still running.

Although, for how long you are going to be happy with it (not breaking). I'll guess 3 to 6 years before it becomes (feeling) slow.

for breaking, as long you dont try to use a sledge hammer on it or run over it with a car, you should be just fine. :D 
m
l
January 28, 2010 8:36:57 PM

^+1

Considering you should have better cooling in the desktop machine, its more likely that the CPU will last longer now than it would have in the laptop.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2010 8:53:02 PM

For $299 at Wal-mart, just how long did you expect it to last even if you didn't mess with it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2010 9:19:13 PM

Should be fine, so long as your temps are o.k. Since it came from your laptop it's likely a low power part so even the weak cooler of the Celeron may be enough. Monitor your temps though, and if it's running too hot then get a good aftermarket CPU cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2010 11:05:57 PM

You know the specs are on the side of the box before you buy it right?????
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2010 11:24:43 PM

Hmm, I'm in the process of reinstalling the boot drive in a friend's Dell lappy, since the original failed in 3 months. Hardware error code 0146 which is unmountable volume. Luckily the Indian tech rep. sent out a replacement drive which arrived in one day.

The laptop is assembled in mainland China, which given my experience with faulty monitors and other electronics, doesn't surprise me. I guess Dell and the other companies figure the replacement costs into their business model, although you'd think they would care more about their reputation for quality.

My friend says she will not buy from Dell again, despite their alacrity in replacing the faulty hardware...
m
l
a c 150 à CPUs
January 28, 2010 11:33:17 PM

Ha! I scored a better deal than you at Staples. $299 for a Compaq with and AMD X240 (2.8ghz dual core) 3Gb DDR3 -10660 ram (i was shocked) and a 500Gb 7200 rpm drive on an Asus Mobo. Take away $54 for the ink cartridges I turned in and I paid $274 including taxes. I couldn't build it that cheap much less buy Win7-64bit Home Premium. HAhahaha. I love it. I'd put in a dedicated graphics card but its for my wife who doesn't game at all. I think this is a fantastic deal for someone like her.
m
l
January 29, 2010 3:27:23 AM

popatim said:
Ha! I scored a better deal than you at Staples. $299 for a Compaq with and AMD X240 (2.8ghz dual core) 3Gb DDR3 -10660 ram (i was shocked) and a 500Gb 7200 rpm drive on an Asus Mobo. Take away $54 for the ink cartridges I turned in and I paid $274 including taxes. I couldn't build it that cheap much less buy Win7-64bit Home Premium. HAhahaha. I love it. I'd put in a dedicated graphics card but its for my wife who doesn't game at all. I think this is a fantastic deal for someone like her.

That computer has so much potential and you are giving it to your wife!? I would never do such a thing... Unless she was a gamer or someone that brings a lot of money into the household. Why not keep it and buy her a used one of eBay or something?
m
l
January 29, 2010 3:30:15 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
Hmm, I'm in the process of reinstalling the boot drive in a friend's Dell lappy, since the original failed in 3 months. Hardware error code 0146 which is unmountable volume. Luckily the Indian tech rep. sent out a replacement drive which arrived in one day.

The laptop is assembled in mainland China, which given my experience with faulty monitors and other electronics, doesn't surprise me. I guess Dell and the other companies figure the replacement costs into their business model, although you'd think they would care more about their reputation for quality.

My friend says she will not buy from Dell again, despite their alacrity in replacing the faulty hardware...

The computer is very nice. Has 4GB of Ram, 2 core duo (thanks to me), Great graphics card and is an HP!
Here is the model number in case you wanna look it up and see all the specs: G60-519WM
m
l
January 29, 2010 3:32:37 AM

daship said:
You know the specs are on the side of the box before you buy it right?????

I know but I got it on black Friday so I had no time to look at the box. I mean I could have.... but I have got knocked out and had someone steal it.
m
l
January 29, 2010 5:54:16 AM

why didnt you just order a brand new CPU for the desktop instead of rendering your laptop useless...Im sure the laptop was exciting to use and expensive at some point...you could have just purchased an e5200 for 65 bucks...not have to take ur laptop a part...and have 2 nice machines...or sell that laptop for AT LEAST 300 bucks possibly more and buy a quad core CPU for the desktop with the money
m
l
!