Problems installing radeon 5870

G

Hi,
after installing my Radeon 5870 on my MSI P55-CD53 mobo I looked to the screen to see nothing on it, no BIOS, no nothin'. The card come with drivers and a crosswire connection which isn't plugged in but I should at least be getting a BIOS right?

G

I don't think I have any PCI-E 6pins plugged in: but then again I don't know what they look lioke or where they go

The PSU is relativly small [450w] but the card has less energy consumpsion than ever before. i.e.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/09/23/ait-radeon-hd-5870-1gb-review/8

The PSU itself is a corsair VX 450 and it has loads of connetions trailing out of it so it could be that the wrong one is plugged in.

Overall i don't know why this isn't working... It's most likely that the PCI express pins aren't plugged in yet though...

The 5870 needs (2) 6pin PCI-E power connectors. Your PSU has one, so you will need to use the molex to PCI-E adapter that came with the card. Also, that card still consumes a good chunk of power. I am not sure how they test on the site you gave, but that seems really low. This is a site that I use and it comes in above the GTX285 on a full system at load. http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643&p=26

The minimum requirements for a 5870 are a 500W PSU with 40A on the 12V rails. Your PSU comes in under this. But you can try it.

G

Does the PCI express pin have one connection that goes into the card. Or is it on the motherboard?

G

Also I have just noticed on the specifications on the back of the box in which the motherboard came inside: That under the "Video" tab it says "1 x PCI-Express x16 slot" and underneath the "Expansion capabilities" tab it says "3 x PCI-Express x 1 slots" and "3 x PCI slots"
It doesn't mention the PCI-Express 3.0 x16 but that's what my card is plugged into and it also has it in th manual.

What I was wondering is that if it only has one PCI-Express slot for the video and the others as expansion; would I need to have another graphics card to enable the BIOS screen in order to activate the PCI-Express 2.0 slot?

HEre are pics of connectors, you can find what it looks like. It comes from the PSU and plugs into the video card.

Your second post above totally lost me, sorry. You plug the card into the PCI-E- x16 slot, which is the blue one on your board.

G

Well I have the molex plugged in and I have the two connections from the molex plugged into the PSU And the fan on the card is spinning when I turn it on, the only problem is that there's no picture.

What I was saying in my second post was that the PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slot is technically an expansion slot, and with some motherboards you have enable the expansion slots. I was wondering if I needed another card to plug into a non-expansion slot so that I could enable the expansion slot. I can't really think of anything else...

Another way of saying that would be: "If my card is plugged into an expansion slot
should the BIOS screen still turn on or
do you have to enable the slot first?"

G

Well this is kind of embaressing... The card is actually a Radeon 5770...
That might be a factor...

So what your saying is that basically if the card is plugged in right then it's m,ost likely broken?

The 5770 has a single 6pin inside the back vents that needs plugged in. if that is plugged in, and it is seated in the top most PCI-E x16 slot. It is possible. But you may try another video cable. But yes it should boot atleast to the bios.

Skull Wart

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Well I was looking on MSI's support site thing, and it has a few reasons for No Post, I've tried removing the battery to reset the CMOS but that didn't work.
The other thing it said to try for resting the CMOD is to move the "JBAT" jumper from 1-2 to 2-3... But don't have anything on it...

Here's the site if you wanted a look. http://us.msi.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp#1_1

Damn card, why did this have to happen to me...