ryohei

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
well i just bought a new ide combo drive. i have no idea how ide drives work, well mainly the master and slave part. how does that work?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
See my post on this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=273978&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

If this is your only IDE device, set its jumpers to Master and plug into the end connector of the ribbon cable. If you are adding it to a cable that already has a Master, set the optical drive's jumpers to Slave and connect to middle connector on the cable. Then check the existing Master device - does it need a jumper setting changed from "Master with No Slave" to "Master with Slave Present", or is it simply "Master" (you would not change that).

Of course, you'll also have to plug in a 4-pin Molex power supply connector.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, you want "Do this", nothing else.
I assume you have one existing optical drive on one IDE port with a ribbon cable that has three connectors - one at each end, and one in the middle.
1. Check your existing optical drive's jumpers. Make sure they are set to the Master position according to the diagram on the drive itself. Plug into it the END connector of the cable.
2. Set the jumpers on the new combo drive to Slave (use its own jumper setting diagram) and mount it in the case.
3. Connect the middle connector of the ribbon cable, and the 4-pin Molex power supply plug.
4. Close up and boot. The new drive unit should be showing in My Computer, ready to use. If it came with a software CD, do what it tells you.