Replacing the Power supply on the Gateway DX4200-UB001A

Status
Not open for further replies.

CZ25

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hi im wanting to replace the power Supply on my Gateway DX4200-UB001A
Currently installed when i bought it is a 300 watt power supply and im looking for a higher end gaming Graphics card and need to upgrade my power supply to do so. I cant seem to find the motherboard specs for the DX4200 on the web so i am unsure as to a compatible power supply for my computer..... Any help or suggestions would be awesome

CZ25

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Awesome....
Looks great, thanx a ton.

One more question...
For some reason Radeon Cards seem to work better with this motherboard then Nvidia cards So i was thinking to get a good Radeon card for higher end gaming.....any suggestions??

G

I have the same comp and am wondering if i can install the hd5770 without changing the power supply, i cant find anywhere to connect the video card to my power supply, so im assuming i have to. Am i correct?

CG89

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
you'll have to change over your power supply. Im pretty sure when I first got mine(I have the same pc) it only had a 300 watt power supply with no 6 pin power connectors.I upgraded to a modular 700 watt silver stone for my HD4870.I have had no problems with it.The hd5770 requires a minimum 450 watt power supply with a 6 pin power connector.

I recommend getting a modular power supply if you plan on using the case it came in or you will have problems fitting it all in there.I can also tell you, you will have some pretty high temps.those cards put off a lot of heat for a mid tower case with only one fan other than the cpu cooler and psu of course.

CZ25

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hello again
So My Fiance got me a Radeon HD 4650 for my birthday so i put that in instead of the sapphire card Viper suggested and its been running perfectly with the 300 watt PSU.
But a friend just gave me a OCZ stealth Xtreme 700 watt PSU that is brand new I am wondering will that be compatible with the micro atx motherboard and everything,and will it fit? Or will i mess things up if i swap them ???

Thanx
Colt

Status
Not open for further replies.