What is a safe core temperature for AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor [x86 Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
^+1

You really want it 60C or lower under load. Unfortunately you can't really go by the individual core sensors as they didn't get those properly calibrated till recently with the 965 BE. You will thus notice a discrepancy from the core reading, and the reading of individual cores if using a monitoring utility like Everest. Just don't get too crazy with the voltages and you should be good.

new_One

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hi!
I've got that Phenom II X4 955, too.
Is there a difference between "max cpu temperature" and "max core temperature"?
When I check my core temperatures while running prime95, all core temperatures reach 70°C and higher.
Is it time for a new cpu fan?
Thanks for your answers

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The max cpu temperature (which for AMD's is usually read from the mobo) is unspecified. Since your core temp is higher than 62 C, I recommend you try reseating your heatsink (if you think it might not be a very good mount), lower the voltage, or get a new heatsink/fan.

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Well that according to AMD 62C is max, but processors tend to run hotter on load. The temperature depends on your surrounding temperatures and your CPU cooler. My AMD Phenom II X4 955 stock cooler sucks, it sounds like a little factory in there. Remember one thing higher temperatures can damage your CPU and since this processor tends to overheat i suggest use a good aftermarket cooler

junkmale2000

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I just had a system failure with my CPU running too hot. The PC World techs had replaced the CPU without applying new paste and it just got too hot and the PC shut down. As I had just had the PSU replaced I thought it meight be that cutting the power, but looking at temps in BIOS my CPU was going up to 69c. Of course I immediately shut it down and re-pasted it with Akasa paste/ I have ahd it running for a couple of hours now and the CPU wasn't fried by these extreme temperatures, and it now runs at 40-44c idle. So the moral is, if you take off the heatsink for any reason (especially if you used the conductant paste AMD put on it) clean off the paste from the CPU and heatsink and apply new paste before firing up the PC again. I hadn't really thought the paste made a big difference but it certainly seems to be crucial in cooling CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.