List of 1.0a compatible graphics cards and request

jonloe

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
im in the futile search of this information. its killing me inside, slowly and softly. from everything that ive learned, PCI-e2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1, but 1.0a is a little more tricky. it only works with some cards.

From Wikipedia - "PCIe 2.0 is backward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0. In some cases it is possible that a PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on a PCI-E 1.0a slot. This is only limited to certain video cards."

so this is what ive heard.

people have gotten these graphic cards working on a 1.0a PCI-e slot.

8800GT
HD 4650
HD 4870

if youve had any experience with putting 2.0 cards on a 1.0a slot, speak up! personally, im trying to find out if a HD 4670 will work on a PCI-e 1.0a, but im sure a collective list would be very helpful to others, not just me.

thanks in advance,
Jon Loe

optimusakc

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
this is a great list to start, unfortunately I have a card that does NOT work with the pci-e 1.0a slot. Asus HD 5770 is a no go :(

Probably, but then again there might be certain cards that don't play as well as others regardless of mobo BIOS updates.

optimusakc

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
ya I guess that might clarify things a bit. In my case I have a ASROCK 939dual Sata2 mobo and I have tried the Asus 5770 and just today I tried the Sapphire 5750 and no dice on either of them. Thankfully I have a great store here that lets me return anything before a 7 day window is up :)

What chipset is that board using?

Very few cards have issue with board compatibility with a few exceptions. Those exceptions are that not all boards can supply 75w form the slot and Turbocache and Hypermemory doesn't work when ram is only installed in single channel mode.