Build upgrade, no post, no beeps, no signal

hotdogfun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
i recently bought a new mobo, CPU and hard drive for my desktop for an upgrade. When i got the parts and plugged them in (ensuring all was plugged in correctly ect.) i booted and... no post. Confused as i was, i tried unplugging each component to see if i could narrow down a defect part.

I tried removing ALL components, except 1 ram (known good in my old mobo). still same result.
removed VGA, still same result.

There are no post or beeps no matter what i do.

I even RMA'ed the mobo as i thought it was DOA. turned out that IT WAS, but... when they sent me my money back, i bought the same model from another store, when i got it.. same result.. no post.. RMA'ed again. but they tested in flawless, and sent it back to me.

Now, sitting here with major headaches, i think i've tried everything. I even got a new PSU to ensure there is enough power.

So here is the deal: I'm thinking the new CPU might be bad, but i dunno how to test it, or should i just RMA it ?

PS: I already tried out everything in the "read before posting about new builds wont post".

Here is the specs:

ASUS P5Q SE Plus (one of the new parts)
Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Q9550 (one of the new parts)
OCZ 500W StealthXStream Gamers Power Supply PSU (one of the new parts)
Seagate Cuda 7200.11/160GB 3.5" SATA 7200rpm
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3650 256mb

I really appreciate any help!

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Is there a power LED on the motherboard? If so, is it lit up?
Do any fans turn on?
Are you using motherboard standoffs? There might be a short somewhere.
Try "bread boarding". That's when you take the motherboard out and boot it up
from a non conductive surface, like styrofoam.

hotdogfun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
yes, the light on the motherboard is on.
yes, all fans are running.
i didn't assemble inside the case, i did it on the anti-static stuff that came with the mobo.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Take the bloody cpu to the nearest shop and have then test it for you,can't cost more than a buck or five...Use the top of the mobo's box not the mobo's plastic bag not safe....:)

hotdogfun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Jsc - Already went through that list, and since the mobo was tested good by the company, it must be the CPU right ?

dokk2 - i have now tried assembling on the mobo box, still same result. also tried on a wooden surface without luck.

seems like I'm running out of options then ? I guess i just have to RMA the CPU?

jareklajkosz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I was having the exact same problem this week. I ended up messing around with the RAM modules, and I found out that my DIMM slots weren't working correctly (for example, I had the modules in slots 1 and 3, the computer booted normally, so I took out the module in slot 1, wouldn't POST, replaced it, 1 and 3 no longer worked, then put the modules in slots 2 and 4, it's been working since.. for how long, I don't know). Has your computer been inexplicably freezing after working normally for a while? Because that's when my troubles started. I tried a lot of things except a different CPU (don't have an extra to play with) and different RAM modules (but I don't think they're the issue, Corsair products don't tend to just inexplicably fail after running for 2 and a half years in my experience). I just checked your specs, and obviously your motherboard isn't old like mine, so it may very well be the CPU. However, if you haven't already, you can try playing around with the RAM modules some more and see if you have any luck with that.

Hope this helps. If anything, I feel your pain man. It's the worst feeling ever when your computer starts freezing and you're worried if you're going to lose all your data (I initially thought my HD was failing for some reason). I hope that you are able to solve your problem!

Comments:

masterasia: No, not styrofoam. Most styrofoam, while not conductive, will generate lots of static electricity.

dokk2: There is no problem with laying the motherboard on the antistatic bag the motherboard came in. The bag is conductive - just barely. The resistance is so high that it has no measureble effect on the motherboard.

hotdogfun: No. Motherboards occasionally are DOA. Unfortunately, once you are down to the bare minimum (PSU, motherboard, CPU) to make a beep and you get silence, the only surefire way to determine the fault is by substituting a known good replacement. It's very handy to have access to a similar system when this happens.

hotdogfun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

The motherboard can't be DOA, because i already RMA'ed it once, but they tested it OK and sent it back to me. So i'm guessing the CPU, which was never tested good or bad ?

hotdogfun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Thanks for your answer and understanding! I tried out your suggestion with no luck - seems like it's more likely the CPU, since the RAM works perfectly in my old build, and the mobo was tested good when i RMA'ed it.

hotdogfun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
All right. I still haven't solved my problem yet. I've talked to the techs from the company i bought the CPU from, and he told me that it might have something to do with an outdated BIOS version in the mobo.

How do i check this ? and eventually fix this, since i can't boot, and the only other CPU i've got is an old Intel P4 3.0 ghz, which wont boot with the mobo either (dont think mobo supports it).

Thanks in advance.

hotdogfun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
oh dear. I just found an old system case speaker, so i can listen for system beeps. Turns out that when i have CPU, VGA and 1 stick ram in = no beeps.
If i remove 1 stick of ram i starts beeping.

I then checked my manual to see if my ram is compatible with my mobo. But my ram is not on the list!

Can incompatible ram or no ram result in no boot ?

tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
faulty cpu, mobo, memory and psu can all potentially just stop a machine from doing a post.

if your ram is ddr2 and not too old, i think it should work with the asus p5q.

there's still a possibility that you could have a dead cpu. even though that sounds incredibly unlikely given that your first mobo turned out to be DOA.

it's so frustrating when problem solving that you have a possibility that your purchase can be broken right out of the box. i bought a 22 inch lcd last year with 3 dead pixels and they wouldn't let me return it as faulty - almost LAUGHABLE that i could then return it using the UK's 'cooling-off' policy to say i was dissatisfied with the product - then ordered a new one.